Parakeet Genetics and Breeding question

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Mexicancanary
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Parakeet Genetics and Breeding question

Post by Mexicancanary » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:00 pm

Hi Everyone, this past year I got a lutino male, a turquoise/yellow pied female (bred them together) and got one lutino baby and one pied baby which looks just like the mom. My second pair is an albino female which I bred to a yellow faced sky blue greywing male and received 4 chicks. one albino, one creamino, and 2 sky blue greywings no yellow face.

First question is the second pair is sitting on 5 eggs and the first pair is breeding again but the 2 chicks are still in the nest box. Can I expect different colors the second time with the exception of the albinos and lutinos or will they always be the same with these 2 color pairings?

Second question: next year if I breed the creamino what would you suggest breeding him with and what would happen if the yellow face skyblue greywing bred with the turq. pied? I already know what I would receive if the lutino and albino breed......albinos and lutinos.

Thanks for any help.
Linda..Canary Enthusiast (16 lovely canaries+)
Lilac Front Parrot, Scarlet
Adopted Cats...Bella, Ronny, Judah, Horatio, Lucy
3 Chihuahuas...Tedi T., Lulu, Bebe G
Adopted Special Needs Rescue...Santo (Redbone Coonhound Mix)
PitBull....Daisy
One Very Patient Husband!

Maleficum
Nestling
Nestling

Re: Parakeet Genetics and Breeding question

Post by Maleficum » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:21 pm

It was a wile ago I bred budgies but I think I still remember a bit about there colour genetics.

1. It's hard to say exactly what colours it can be if you don't have more information about the parents parents colour. Sins you got a turquoise baby the male is carrier for blue. If I understand correctly the female is a blue goldenface pied? Depending of what kind of pied the outcome for the babies can wary.
Lutino can carry a lot of different colours. But if he is lutino he has a green base (and that's dominant) and he can give green based babies (lutino or plain green). Lutino is also a sex-linked colour and only males can be split for it (and therefore have to have the gene from both parents) so all the ino babies are female (and the female from that combination can't be any other colour so all other colours are male) and all males are carrier for ino. All blue birds will be goldenface.
But it is possible for them to get albino babies too. And if they happens to carry some other genes it's possible for different outcome on the male birds.

2. Sins you got a ino baby the male have to be split for it. He also have to be split for "normal" blue. The cremino baby I assume is a yellow faced albino? And sins the babies are greywings the mother have to be carrier for it (ether just split to it and then it's possible they can have "normal" winged babies or she is "visibly" greywing and then all babies will be greywing).

If you know the genetics in more detail you can use a calculater like this http://www.gencalc.com/gen/eng_genc.php?sp=0Budg to see the possible outcome.

Hope it helped a little and was understandable (English is not my first languish) :)
Deviantart <-- Drawings, Photos, Porcelain painting.

Instagram <-- Follow my blind rabbit on Instagram.

Maleficum
Nestling
Nestling

Re: Parakeet Genetics and Breeding question

Post by Maleficum » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:34 pm

I missed your second question.
If you breed the female from the first pair to the male of the second pair all the babies will be goldenface blue (turquoise). Depending on the pied some or all will be pied. Some of the females will be albino or creamino (goldenface albino). Both male and females will be carrier for greywing.

What you should breed the creamino with depends on what you want the colour to be on the babies. Just think of him as a yellowfaced (or goldenfaced) albino. If he is a male then all his female babies will be inos too regardless of the females colour. But if it's the creamino from the first clutch then it's a female.
Deviantart <-- Drawings, Photos, Porcelain painting.

Instagram <-- Follow my blind rabbit on Instagram.