Grasskeets

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Grasskeets

Post by dunker817 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:38 pm

I finally got my pair of grasskeets moved into the double wide flight cage. They seem much happier and fly back and forth a lot. They are more active than they were in the regular flight cage. Now that they are moved I have a question about letting them mate. Should I put a nest box in now or wait until their natural breeding season begins towards the end of summer and first of fall?
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Antone France

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: Grasskeets

Post by paul-inAZ » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:44 pm

I've heard that there is a 'normal' season for breeding but when I had scarlets they did breed 'out of season'.
If yours are old enough you have nothing to lose by trying a box once they get used to the new quarters.

finchandlovebird
Proven
Proven

Post by finchandlovebird » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:15 am

I gave my SCP a box after they finished their molt this spring, & yesterday the first egg was laid. I had them last year & they produced 2 successful clutches for me :D
Dolly J

1 Canary
, 1 Parakeet
Raised Gouldians & Scarlet Chested Parakeets in past years

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:07 am

if kept indoors the scarlets will breed for you during the year. Avoid putting boxes up when the birds are molting. I breed indoor in Florida...I take my cues from the birds...hens will when ready start chewing paper scratching in dishes and corners of the tray. I find there is not general rule regarding seasons since these are not out in wild birds but domesticated birds. Hens for best results should be over a year closer to 14 months to breed and males can mature as early as 10 months. You may get a hen that is showing signs of being ready at 11 months but always best to wait unless she drops eggs. Scarlets can be more prone to egg binding than bourkes.

Once the hen starts working the box make sure you either supplement powdered calcium with D3 in the soft food or liquid calcium with D3 in the water (I use pellets that are formulated with extra calcium and D3....if doing so use a weaker strength calcium/D3 supplement 1/2 to 1/4 strength so not to overdose the calcium and D3 depending on how much calcium and D3 are in the pellets) Supplemental calcium and D3 are only given until the hen is done laying then you stop it.

Molting may very a little based on indoor temperatures based on where in the country you live.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only