For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Domestic dispute...

Post by Nerine » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:30 pm

Had to share, this is just too funny!

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toro ... -1.3548543

Has anyone else had to deal with a 'beaky' parrot?
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Domestic dispute...

Post by lovezebs » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:48 pm

Nerine

I actually heard about this on the news this morning, and got a good laugh out of it.

I've been know to have verbal arguments with my little dog Katy, but so far not with any of my birds, lol.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:19 pm

Nerine

LOL! I found myself in an argument with my lovebirds last night because they wouldn't stop screeching!!!
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:25 am

slwatson

Funny you mention Lovebirds. When I had my Lovebirds, I do recall some screaming arguments (some of the screaming, might have been from me :oops: ).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:37 pm

lovezebs

I have really tried to get used to them, but they won't let me anywhere near them, and they screech a lot. I just wish they were friendlier!
Stacie

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:19 pm

slwatson

In the close to 20 years that I had Lovebirds, I would never have classifieds them as friendly, and that goes for two hand raised chicks, that I saved from a certain death at the beak of their psycho mother. Honestly, I would never have them again.

I know that many people have a very different perspective, and different experiences, but I found them to be aggressive, mean, very loud, and down right vicious at times.
~Elana~

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Tue May 03, 2016 10:32 am

lovezebs

I've decided to sell my pair at an upcoming bird mart Saturday....I just can't deal with the screeching and have been bit enough to realize they're not a good fit for me. I was hoping something that big would want to be handled....wrong! I have a friend who hand raised a parrotlet, and it's the sweetest thing. If either of her pairs go to nest, she's going to do the same thing so I can have one. I know they're smaller, but my son and I really love the one she currently has...it's so tame and sweet, and very smart :D
Stacie

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue May 03, 2016 10:52 am

slwatson

Well, good luck with the Parotlet baby.
From what I've read about it, your best bet, is to get him very young, when you can still handfeed a little, and wean him yourself. Also handling a lot is advised for a tame little bird.

I don't blame you for wanting to rehome the Lovebirds. I would definitely let the buyers know, that they are not tame, and better for watching than touching, lol. They do have a powerful bite, don't they? :twisted:
~Elana~

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Tue May 03, 2016 12:29 pm

lovezebs

Thanks for the info about the parotlet...yes, those love birds do have a very powerful bite!
Stacie