Please help me stop the biting!

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Please help me stop the biting!

Post by slwatson » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:06 pm

I have a lovely new parrotlet male named Charlie. He's a little over two months old. He was raised by a fantastic breeder, and he was very sweet and affectionate with her. He was housed with three other birds up until the point that I got him. I'm having a bit of an issue with him at the moment, and I really need help. When I approach his cage, I open his door, speak to him sweetly and call him by name, present my finger and say "step up", and he immediately tries to bite. I ignore this behavior because I don't want to give up, but my finger in suffering and so are my nerves! He'll allow me to pet him on the head and back when he's sitting on the perch in his cage, but hates my finger. Once I'm able to get him out, he'll sit on my shoulder, climb my hair, let me pet and rub him pretty much anywhere. He's actually very sweet, but I need to be able to get him out of the cage without him wanting to bite me initially. I've started working on the step up command outside of the cage. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Attachments
20160907_155824.jpg
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Please help me stop the biting!

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:16 pm

slwatson

It's a bluffing stage a lot of parrots go through. And I've read smaller parrots are very territorial over their cage. Sounds like once he is out, he's an absolute angel. Not all those little guys ever end up as tame as yours. O:-)

Sounds like he's a real keeper. I'd put up with the biting until he outgrows it (and he will). Key is to never pull back or let him see signs that he has the "upper hand". Don't flinch, take the bite, go on your business and take him out as if nothing happened no matter how much it hurts.

I wasn't going to announce it yet, but I guess I have to now LOL (I'll make a post on him). I got a baby indian ringneck 2 months ago, he went through the same stage and is now no longer biting when I get him out. And oh boy did he bite hard for two months. Drew blood. He just comes right out now, because he understands its not getting him anywhere.

vinay
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by vinay » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:24 am

That's really good advice above!

What might help you is to gently push INTO the bite at times. Not reacting does work but might also make the bird treat you like a human chew toy for a while.

This worked quite well for my Ringneck and I when he went through his 5 month long bluffing stage.

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:25 am

Babs@vinay

Thank you both! I try not to pull away, but he's got a pretty sharp beak. He spent a couple of hours with me last night riding on my shoulder and neck while I made egg food, so this morning, his first reaction wasn't to bite. It was a great first step!

Babs, congrats on your new baby! I think indian ringnecks are so beautiful! You've got to post pics soon!
Stacie

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:16 am

slwatson

That birdie of yours is gorgeous! Theres a video of my ringneck on another thread now ;) Has your name on it

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:37 am

Babs

Thank you!
Stacie

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:25 pm

Babs wrote: slwatson

It's a bluffing stage a lot of parrots go through. And I've read smaller parrots are very territorial over their cage. Sounds like once he is out, he's an absolute angel. Not all those little guys ever end up as tame as yours. O:-)

Sounds like he's a real keeper. I'd put up with the biting until he outgrows it (and he will). Key is to never pull back or let him see signs that he has the "upper hand". Don't flinch, take the bite, go on your business and take him out as if nothing happened no matter how much it hurts.

I wasn't going to announce it yet, but I guess I have to now LOL (I'll make a post on him). I got a baby indian ringneck 2 months ago, he went through the same stage and is now no longer biting when I get him out. And oh boy did he bite hard for two months. Drew blood. He just comes right out now, because he understands its not getting him anywhere.
Very true words Babs, well said :-BD

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:15 pm

It's been years since we bred cockatiels, but this was a very common scenario for us. Once out of the cage, they were fine and never offered to bite or snip. But getting them out of the cage was a pain (literally). Our avian vet at the time advised using a dowel rod the size of my finger, about 1 foot long, stuck in the index finger of a rubber kitchen glove to train them on the "get out of the cage, you crazy thing" part. It worked great. The glove looks like my hand and feels like my skin, so it didn't freak them out. They next seemed to mind the latex smell.

The cage is their refuge. Once they figure out they are safe in it, they don't want to leave, even to spend time with their favorite peep!

Try the dowel/glove trick... maybe it'll work for you, too. :)

D