Spilled the beans to Stacie, I got an Indian Ringneck

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Spilled the beans to Stacie, I got an Indian Ringneck

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:51 pm

This is Ronan, I've had him for several months. This is my first (and only forever) hookbill. I swore I would never get one, but Bill is away a lot for business and this little man is keeping me company.

He's 6 months old, he's my helper as I tend the finches. He stays with me during the day in my office while I work (yes the mess under his tree is just from one meal).

All the finches are used to him and are breeding without even paying him any mind. This is a video of the first day he got to explore my work desk, he tried to eat my headset cord. I stopped the film. headset and bird intact.

I'm in love. And Hammy thinks he's cool too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQsk-i5ZBYU

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Spilled the beans to Stacie, I got an Indian Ringneck

Post by Sally » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:03 pm

Roman is gorgeous! What a nice big play stand he has too. He should be lots of company for you.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:55 am

Woh Ho, you caught Ronan just in time Babs :mrgreen:

Lovely looking blue ring neck and I like his play area,

Here all around London and the surrounding counties IE in Kent where I am there are loads of wild flocks of ring necks,

Over the many years, various ring neck pets and various private collections had miraculously escaped aswell as deliberate releasing into the wild,

London and catchment counties now have quite a few colonies of a few hundred at a time, it's quite amazing watching them although they are extremely noisy.

A lot of the colonies appear to be along the banks of the river Thames that runs through London and 28 miles later also runs past where I live now being about 3/4's mile across,

Throughout the London area the banks are lined with a lot if willow trees and this is one of the main trees that they seem to nest in using the fine willow twigs at the bottom of the nest chambers.

They was initially called the Indian ring neck but are now renamed as just ring neck because believe it or not they are now classified as being on the country's British bird and native list.

vinay
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by vinay » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:16 am

How cute !

First molt huh ?

Just a heads up !
Watch out for the bluffing stage. Your sweet little baby could transform into a raging monster constantly trying to kill anything and everything in its sight. Be ready for your buddy to be eternally fluffed up shooting you death stares coupled with extreme angry eye pinning :P .

I still have scars from those days. It lasted from the age of 7 months till my Bubbles reached 1 year.

They can literally transform overnight.

Good luck :D

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:25 am

Sally Stuart whiting vinay

Im absolutely in love with him. He's already practicing talking. Mainly snorts and squeaks right now. Sally you know I'm a goofball, so when I tend the gouldian cages at night he's right on my shoulder and Im teaching him "Wheres my rent rainbow farts? Pay up!" **giggle**
The gouldians find him facinating, but he is not allowed to touch, walk or climb on their cages.

Stuart he is a beauty! DNA male. He's molting so he's getting a little boiled egg just like the rest of the crew. How do they survive the winters there in London? They must wreck some vegetable gardens :shock:

Vinay, yup he already went through the bluffing. :evil: It started at 4 months old when I first got him. I had bite marks all over my hands. I ignored it and kept handling him and he gave up. It does still take him about 10 minutes to calm down when he's first out of the cage and he's antsy. Then he settles in for talk time and scratches.

Vinay, post a picture of your ringneck. Id love to see it!

vinay
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by vinay » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:06 am

Babs

They really become so sweet literally overnight once the bluffing passes. My guy is just too friendly.

They are amazing talkers and incredibly smart. Bubbles knows how to open cages, plastic lids , open zips to access bags ..... its unbelievable.

I forgot the term for it... but they seem to realize when something is hidden behind a door or inside a bag. He has chewed through a plastic bag and 2 layers of packaging to reach my sandwich. He will open up my bag to get to my wallet. He likes picking out various debit/credit cards from inside wallets for some reason.

He says quite a few phrases ; 'whatcha doin?' , 'whose a pretty birdie?' , 'Good morning!' if you kiss him on his chest and a bunch of whistles and sounds. The only problem is that the voice he speaks his words in is deep since he imitates me. I often wish I had my mom or one of my female friends teach him phrases.

This is him ....

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:22 am

vinay

OH MY GOSH he is GORGEOUS!! :mrgreen: The green is my absolute FAVORITE!! They didnt have a green :( The rosey pink on the back of his neck!! :YMDAYDREAM: Look at his clever eyes. I see mischief. heehee How old is he now?

I would love to hear his voice! Any video or recording on it?

Beautiful altar btw ;) He looks perfect perched and napping there

Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Madcat » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:45 am

Wow ! This is a treat to see. This is totally different. More bird.
30+ Gouldians
1 Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:40 am

Madcat

I needed someone to talk to that talks back ;) too . I spend a lot of time talking to the birds, since I live without television and Bill works long hours. Bill bought him for me as a present. <3

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:41 am

Babs

He's beautiful! That blue coloring is gorgeous!
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:37 pm

Babs

No television, yikes my wife would go potty if she had no telly :-O

Don't really bother me as I'd be on me iPad doing me waxbill / foreign finch reaserch and the forums etc :mrgreen:

Yes Babs the ring necks around London seem to all winter perfectly OK as they are well attapted now, I've noticed big increase of populations over the last 30 odd years but I believe that there has been wild populations possibly gong back to as much as 50-60 years ago,

These ring necks are now really hardy birds and have survived the coldest of winters where temperatures have fallen well below zero degrees

kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by kyle » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:30 am

Babs
Congratulations! He's beautiful!
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Madcat » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:52 am

Babs so sweet!!!! Ur such a magnet of love !
30+ Gouldians
1 Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:41 am

slwatson Stuart whiting kyle Madcat

I'll make sure I take videos of his progress and I'm going to be sure to teach him lots of wacky things to say to amuse him & myself. It will probably be another 3- months before he starts talking.

Thanks Madcat you're a doll! :YMHUG:

Yep, no TV Stuart. I think its been 15 years now. Now if I visit a friend and their TV is on (especially the news) I am like :shock: :shock: :shock: . I cant believe how horrible its become, how insensitive and hateful TV is now. I cant stomach it even the sound of it.

Its amazing to know how hardy ringnecks actually are to survive those winters in London, wow!

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:45 am

Babs

Blimey no tv for 15 years and there's me thinking I was old school :mrgreen: .....lols,

Incidentally Babs you may well find the London ring necks on you tube, it wouldn't at all surprise me as I should think a fair few tourists have filmed them :-BD

Just tap in on you tube ring neck parakeets in London and it will probably show some footage.