parakeets got a Chill

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

parakeets got a Chill

Post by zebsoc » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:22 pm

:( my parakeets got a chill.
The nights have cooled and the change from day to night temperature has increased. Plus I have air purifiers that blow Up but I think they may be too cold for night when it gets to low 50s to upper 40s (the livingroom only goes down to 70s tho but not sure about corner they are in)? I need the air purifiers because the birds r all in the livingroom. And with the weather in the 80s during the day it still gets stuffy during the night without air circulation that refreshes the bird smell. Plus I have allergies so it the onky way I can keep birds in my apartment.

What can be done to help the parakeets recover from a chill?
One is very puffed up and inactive most of the time but eating.
A couple are less activity and sleeping more with some puffing.
The other 3 are still looking ok but a little less active a bit more naps then normal.

I feel so bad and sad.
The finches are doing fine. The finches were ok last winter.

I have switched from side blowing air purifiers to top blowing but I thought the top would be better anyway since it wouldn't be directed towards them.

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Re: parakeets got a Chill

Post by lem2bert » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:31 pm

zebsoc

It must be that time of the year again. I also use an air cleaner in the winter but it does blow cool air which also can cool down the room. I have placed it in the room next to the birds, but I am not sure it is going to circulate the air in their room. I am thinking about getting a smaller one to keep on a table. Maybe your parakeets just need it a little warmer than your finches. Maybe a light in their cage. I hope they are ok !
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:39 pm

lem2berty - hi thank you for your response. I have let the livingroom warm and 4 of the parakeets seem ok this afternoon. But 2 of them are definitely not well. They r my 2 favorite ones too. The bright yellow one of the liveliest normally and the sky blue one which also was quite lively.

How likely r parakeets to recover from a chill if warmth doesn't perk them up?
Am I going to lose them?? :(

Also how likely that the others could harm or kill them if they dont improve soon?

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:58 am

Budgies can adapt to the cold if the acclimation is gradual - my birds who spent the summer outside have roosted without issue as nights fall into the fifties this month, though I will bring them in once it gets under fifty. But birds raised in complete, even warmth have no tolerance for sudden change and even a few degrees can cause some shock to their systems. A draft is much more harmful than simple cold - my birds are covered on three and a half sides with tarps at night that block prevailing winds. A cold wind will kill a bird.

Give them heat lamps and time. They will probably recover. I'd recommend a blanket on at least 3 sides and the top of the cage at night if it is not reliably warm and protected from drafts. I don't know what finches you have but if they sleep in nests, they're able to handle cold better which may be why they do fine while the budgies, out on perches, have gotten under the weather.

My first budgie Arthur came to me with a bad chill. He spent several weeks puffed under a heat lamp before he got better - but he was found outside, where he had to endure hot days and cold rainy nights which made him quite unwell. Your birds will likely pop up again in a few days.
~Dylan

~~~

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:20 pm

Sheather - thank you for your response and info.

What degrees do you keep the birds at under heat lamp?
My Livingroom gets into 80s during warm days and low 70s at night.
I have a day lamp that gives some added warm.
I don't want to overheat them.
Since not all of them r puffed up, do I need to separate? Had them 3 months and they just starting to settle in together. Yellow is the worst but by himself likely to get depressed and also not be reaccepted by others.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:58 pm

I just cover the cages at night. Keeps my budgies quiet between sunset and sunrise, and helps to keep my finches from thinking it's EGG LAYING time.

Covered on all 4 sides will allow them to be warmer when the room cools down at night. My son keeps the temp set at 67F in the winter so it cools down a little bit more than that at night, but with a cover over the cage, they'll stay warmer.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Sojourner

Fortunately they r doing well now. I think it was mainly the transmission between a Very Hot summer to a cool fall.
Something I will need to keep in mind when next fall comes.
We went from mainly 90-100s to 60-70s during day which was a bit much of a quick change for the parakeets to adjust to easily.
Plus I keep a heat lamp by the front door which is where the bad chill was coming from.

Happily they r healthy and active now.

Chihuahua
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Chihuahua » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Sojourner wrote: I just cover the cages at night. Keeps my budgies quiet between sunset and sunrise, and helps to keep my finches from thinking it's EGG LAYING time.

Covered on all 4 sides will allow them to be warmer when the room cools down at night. My son keeps the temp set at 67F in the winter so it cools down a little bit more than that at night, but with a cover over the cage, they'll stay warmer.
Don't societies ALWAYS think it's egg laying time? :lol:
Toby

2 pied societies (one crested)
2 adult beetles
4 beetle larvae
1 papillon
1 chihuahua mix

My mom also has two budgies and a dachshund puppy

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:29 pm

Chihuahua wrote: Don't societies ALWAYS think it's egg laying time? :lol:
NOnonononono.

You are thinking of ZEBRAS. Societies only think it's egg laying time ALMOST all the time.

:YMDEVIL:
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.