Bourke colour help please

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
JNZ
Pip
Pip

Bourke colour help please

Post by JNZ » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:50 am

I've recently found a male for our two girls (one girl was bought last year as a rubino male but it laid an egg!). Our new (actual) boy, Lucky, is still young (I think he's just starting to moult into his adult feathers) and such a sweetie. I've seen him dipping and flaring so I know for sure he's a boy. And he sings so beautifully. After scouring the internet for information I'm still clueless as to whether he's a cinnamon or a fallow. One of the girls is a similar colouring to him, though splotchier in colour in the wings (I'll add some pictures) and I'd just like to know what I can expect their babies to turn out like, one being sex linked and the other autosomal recessive.

I'm a bit sad my rubino is a girl as it will take a little longer to get rubino babies, but I'll get there in the end.

I'm hoping to get them out in the aviary soon - it's spring where we are and they have been indoors over winter so I'm waiting for the weather to really warm up for them.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
From the front
From the front
From the back
From the back
Females
Females

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Bourke colour help please

Post by cindy » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:33 am

these links might help to me it looks like a pale fallow

https://bourkenaround.wordpress.com/mutations/

http://thesplendidbourkebirdblog.blogsp ... by-su.html

ino is sex linked you will get no visual ino babies from the pair unless Dad is split to ino.... if he is not split to ino then you will get male offspring split to ino (from mom). they will give you ino hen and split to ino sons if not paired with an visual or split to ino hen.

http://www.gencalc.com/gen/eng_genc.php?sp=0NeofBour

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

JNZ
Pip
Pip

Post by JNZ » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:55 pm

Thanks Cindy. I can't wait to have some bourke babies about. I doubt our boy Lucky is split to ino as it's still a rare colour in New Zealand and bourkes are only ever sold as aviary birds. I'd love to try hand rearing some as it sounds like they make beautiful and quiet pets. I knew it was going to be a bit of effort to bring out the ino now that Fred has decided to be a Daffodil (the kids name the birds!). But at least I have some pretty fallow babies to look forward to, hopefully.

I saw your photos of your beautiful birds. They are just the sweetest, prettiest things.

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:23 am

JNZ
I was reading your thread and saw your beautiful birds. How are they doing? Any eggs or nesting yet? I have a pair of Bourkes but they don' seem very interested in each other. I'm not sure if I should separate them for a while, then reintroduce them. Best of luck with your birds!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

JNZ
Pip
Pip

Post by JNZ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:26 pm

Jen wrote: JNZ
I was reading your thread and saw your beautiful birds. How are they doing? Any eggs or nesting yet? I have a pair of Bourkes but they don' seem very interested in each other. I'm not sure if I should separate them for a while, then reintroduce them. Best of luck with your birds!
What colour are your babies? Bourkes are so pretty, whatever colour they are!

I found Daffodil, our rubino girl, a wild coloured boy who isn't split to anything so that I can get a boy split to rubino from them. I have an unrelated Rubino girl waiting for a mate (though she is only 4 months old). Daffodil and Billy are yet to produce fertile eggs as Daffodil keeps jumping the gun, missing out an essential step! I gave her a fertile egg from our other hen but it didn't hatch - it got close though. Now my other hen is on 5 fertile eggs which may start hatching today. I was going to give Daffodil a couple of those babies but she gave up on her second set of infertile eggs just a few days ago so that's put a spanner in that idea!

I have read that some bourkes just don't like each other enough to reproduce. Look up The Splendid Bourke Blog - it's such a great site for information on Bourkes.

I'm sure my other pair are cinnamons (the female is an opaline/cinnamon) which are quite common in New Zealand. Seems they are less common in other countries. They had two chicks which I ended up hand rearing from 2 weeks old as one started to look much bigger than the other, and I thought it better to keep them together rather than just hand rear one. So I'm a little nervous that she's about to hatch 5 babies, especially seeing as she started sitting from the moment she started laying so they will be quite spread out - I estimate there will be at least a week between the first and last baby.