We are expecting!

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: We are expecting!

Post by Sheather » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:19 pm

At the moment it would take some real Christmas magic, because her mate is a dove.

~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:29 pm

Sheather

Ah...uhemmm....
Somehow, I don't think it will work :wink: .
A designer Doveatiel, very rare....might catch on, you never know :roll: just give it a comb forward and down hair style..... #-o
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:03 pm

lovezebs Image

The Doveatiel is a popular companion bird produced through the mating of a male ringneck dove and a female cockatiel. Doveatiels are valued for their tame and affectionate demeanor, intelligence, and outgoing personalities. Doveatiels are playful like cockatiels but generally quieter, as they are unable to screech like the cockatiel parent. Though they can learn to coo simple tunes, their talking ability is poor.

Doveatiels thrive on attention, but can entertain themselves for part of the day if necessary. They are less inclined to chew than to play with bells and mirrors and benefit from a variety of toys, rearranged regularly so the doveatiel does not become bored. Doveatiels do well on a seed mix containing mostly millets, with some sunflower hearts and hemp for good measure - they will crack open large seeds, like their cockatiel parent, but most smaller ones will simply be swallowed whole. Fresh greens and occasional eggfood round out a balanced diet.

Doveatiel hens may lay eggs, but being hybrids, these eggs will not hatch.
(unless they were fertilized by a lovebird, in which case a loviedoveatiel may result.)
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:40 pm

Sheather

Oh my god, I just choked on my own spit over here, sputter, cough, cough, cough....

I love it !!! :-BD

You should advertise it somewhere, and see if you get any offers :twisted:
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:01 am

Sheather
That is hilarious! I did a double take on that one! LOL....

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:34 pm

Abby and Patches are 27 days today, and Abby took her first flight this morning! I tried hand-feeding again tonight and they really went for it, even the big fellas.

~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:30 am

Sheather

They look all grown up now, and beautiful :D
I know you mentioned that they're more than ready to be handfed, but are they weaned at this stage?
~Elana~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:46 am

lovezebs No, cockatiels don't wean until seven to twelve weeks! :shock:
But usually around week eight or nine I read.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:32 am

Sheather

Are you planning on keeping all of these babies ?

I think it would be terribly hard to part with any of them....
~Elana~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:24 am

lovezebs Unfortunately no - no space for a big flock.

The kids are now as big as their parents and eating some on their own, but not yet weaned.

These pics are about 10 days old but I don't have any more recent yet. They took a stroll through the Christmas village,

All the babies started to fly but I clipped their wings because I decided that five clumsy little missiles flying through a house at 25 miles per hour simply is not safe. They had some close calls slamming into the walls and the ceiling and falling on their butts. I think letting them stay grounded for a few months, then learning to gradually fly as their feathers come back will be safer; it's how my adults learned to fly. By the time they were fully flighted, they knew how to control it and didn't crash.

Little Pokey developed a respiratory infection shortly after my last update which left him wheezing and listless. I had him on a daily dose of antibiotics for almost two weeks, which he hated. It was worth it though because the infection's been taken care of and he is full of energy again!
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:56 am

Sheather

Ah Dylan, you just cheered me up with these darling pictures. Thank you my dear :D .

The giant babes terrorizing the village had me laughing outloud, with the dogs giving me funny looks over here, wondering if I'd gone nuts.

I simply can't decide which picture I like best, they are all so pretty and colourful. I just love the one with the grey Tiel (not sure who it is) eyeing the red cardinal on top of the tree, it's simply priceless.

I'm so glad little Pokey, is feeling much better. It's always a worry, when babies become ill.
~Elana~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:39 am

Sheather

Loviedoveatiel !!! =)) I had to say the name out loud and that just made it funnier! Your art skills are imppressive. =D>

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:07 am

Lovezebs that's Freddy, the proud father to this mess of children, up in the tree. : )
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:36 am

Sheather

I'm glad you can tell them apart, lol.

Do they get to open presies on Christmas morning?
If they do, please take pictures :D
~Elana~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:56 pm

Sheather

What a crazy and wonderful holiday setup with the kids. :YMDAYDREAM: I think I sneezed and they grew up. the parents get an A+ right one the first try!

**Please get a little choo-choo to put around the tree that the birdies can ride** giggle

Man....that went by fast!