We are expecting!

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: We are expecting!

Post by Sheather » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:47 pm

Babs lovezebs

Kiddos fully weaned and have all moved on to start their lives, two were sold to a local pet store, one was adopted by a couple in the city and the last two adopted together by a lady right here in the neighborhood.

But the parents double-clutched when their first batch left the nest. They have seven eggs again, set to start hatching in a week to ten days. :shock:

I may pull most of the next clutch to hand-raise - mom and dad have noticeably lost a bit of weight and may require the help - plus, I wasn't happy with how tame the first babies got with handling alone. They weren't wild, but they weren't cuddly either, and they were easily frightened. After this the box is going away for a good while, but I worry it still may not discourage them, as Todd tends to lay on the cage floor without a nest. It's already winter and days are short and that obviously didn't stop their nesting instincts...

Pokey, the little runt, and the oldest chick Abby were the last to go, and they stayed together.

~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:02 pm

Sheather

Ohhhh :(

I know they had to find new homes, but ..... :YMSIGH:

Well, I guess you will have new babies soon enough, if there are seven eggs in the nest box.

Pulling some babies to handraise, will be interesting, but it will make it even harder to let them go once they're grown :) .

Good luck with the upcoming crew....hey, you'll have enough for a basketball team, lol.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:33 pm

lovezebs

We sure will... because it isn't just cockatiels.

I set one of my budgie pairs to nest a while back too, and the first egg appeared today.

~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:40 pm

Sheather

Oh wow!

Babies babies everywhere... \:D/
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:53 am

Sheather

How tame is mom & dad? From what I've noticed when people handfeed, they remove the chicks from the parents entirely at a certain point so all the imprinting is on the person. I have no idea what stage they do it.

Dylan, you did a great job! The parents raise some gorgeous babies!

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:08 am

Babs parents are very tame.
Elana
Seven babies have now hatched. And interestingly this time around, my tame budgie Sam has started taking part and feeds both the father at the entrance to the nest, who then feeds the babies, and the babies themselves. Mom is a bit less trusting, but does not object to him entering the box and helping with the chicks.

~Dylan

~~~

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:39 am

Sheather

Congrats on the new tiel arrivals!

How many eggs did your budgie pair lay?
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:47 am

Sheather

That's quite the brood :) Congratulations.

It's amazing that Sam, has become so involved with this clutch.
Sam, wants to be a Daddy, lol.
~Elana~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:33 am

Nerine - 5. Infertile though. Female never let the male mate. They won't get another chance with me though because some changing life circumstances have led me to the decision to downsize and sell off my untamed budgies and a lot - but not all - of my finches.

I'm holding onto my cockatiels, and Sam here, and two canaries and three societies. I have already found a good home for my dove. sigh. That's life I guess. But there's still this batch of babies to watch grow.

Elana

It truly is remarkable how dedicated the little guy is and how trusting mom and dad are of him.

~Dylan

~~~

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:31 am

Sheather

I'm sorry to hear that, life can suck sometimes :( Sounds similar to what I went through last fall-I had to rehome most of my birds, as well as my cat.

Looking forward though, to regular updates (and photos of) the 2nd clutch of tiels!
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird