We are expecting!

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: We are expecting!

Post by lovezebs » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:32 am

Sheather

Oh my gosh look at them... eyes open, and looking at the big world around them.

Are you giving them some suplemental feedings?
I know I wouldn't be able to resist :D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:04 am

I tried tonight but they didn't know what to do.
They're caught right now between being snuggly and wanting to be petted and thinking I'm a monster and hissing/mouthing me.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:56 am

Sheather

Oh dear.... :(
I really hope they come around.
I didn't know that they hiss :shock:
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:33 pm

And it's really loud - one starts and then they all pick it up. It sounds like a box of snakes! I'd definitely be wary of going in that nest if I was a predator.
~Dylan

~~~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:14 pm

With all the babies' eyes open now it's imperative that the chicks get used to lots of handling and attention in order to be good pets for someone in the future. Because mom and dad are so trusting I put away the wooden box and moved the chicks to a plastic tote so they're easier to handle and can see the outside world.

They all growl whenever they hear a sudden noise and snap at me if I put my hand near them at first but they also do this to their parents until they realize who's there. I think it's just because their vision is still cloudy and I'm not taking it personally.

They're really calm once I start petting them.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:07 pm

Sheather

Look at all those feathers, wow!

And look at Mr Tiny in the middle of all the big boys, lol.
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:05 am

How are the little darlings today?

Any new baby pictures? :D
~Elana~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:57 pm

They're really looking like birds now.
I've handfed them again and they liked that but they're realy tame now with only being handled so I'm probably not going to do it too much. This is our biggest, Abby, 16 days today. She and her brother Patches (second biggest) are now so very sweet, and no longer growl at me. They love their cheeks rubbed and already cock their heads and nuzzle me to get scritches like their mother does.

~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:40 pm

Sheather

What a little sweetheart, just nestled so comfortably in the palm of your hand, absolutely beautiful. Love the tiny feathers on top of her head (needs a tiny bow :D ).

I'm happy to hear that they have come around and no longer growl and hiss at you.
Looks like you are going to have a Tame Tiel Team, lol. Whatcha going to do with all of them?
~Elana~

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by GouldianGuy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:59 pm

what are all of their names?!

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:11 pm

Sheather

Those babies are so cute I just wanna cuddle them! :YMHUG: I know you are over the moon about how smoothly this clutch went being these are first time parents.

I would keep up that consistent affection and holding of those little feathered pups! I am excited to see how incredibly tame they become! You're quite the tamer and now is an amazing time to let talent shine.

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:12 am

Sheather

Those babies are the cutest things!!! I purchased a female "Lola" for my male "Sammy" this year. Lola is about a year old now, but Sammy is about 6 years old. I've had Sammy for over 2 years now and decided he had been alone for long enough. I got Sammy from a lady who was going to be retiring and would be traveling and would not be able to give Sammy enough attention.

The two seem to be bonding and get along well. What are your thoughts on breeding them? Is Sammy too old? Also, what is the opening size of your nest box? How large should be opening be?

Best of luck with your new babies and keep the photos coming!!!!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:48 pm

GouldianGuy The babies named are Abby, Patches, Bumble, Buttons, and Pokey.

@Jen I believe males can breed for quite a long time, through then years or even more in good condition, without the health worries of females, so in another six months or so Lola should be old enough, though a six year old may or may not be a competent breeder. Some have a hard time figuring out what to do!

I think my nestbox entrance is like... 2 1/2"? It's a basic cockatiel box from petsmart. They took to it readily but I took the chicks out after a little over a week so they can be socialized more and get used to seeing people and getting picked up right away. Don't do that if your birds aren't as tame as mine!
~Dylan

~~~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:07 pm

Jen ten years not "then"
~Dylan

~~~

Sheather
Proven