Cockatiel pooped blood PLEASE HELP

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
GGButtons
Pip
Pip

Cockatiel pooped blood PLEASE HELP

Post by GGButtons » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:22 pm

My sibling has a 15 (about) week old cockatiel. We have had her for a little over 3 weeks. Well we were holding her and she seemed to poop out blood? I've checked to see if she has an injury any where near her vent, it doesn't look like she does. Two days ago we did feed her some lettuce and grapes as a treat. The bird store we got her from feeds their birds fruit and vegetables every day but that doesn't mean she actually ate what they were giving her.So maybe her digestive tract isn't used to what we fed her. I don't know what else to do than watch her. she is sitting slightly puffed up on her perch. she is still squawking occasionally.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Cockatiel pooped blood PLEASE HELP

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:55 am

GGButtons
If at all possible, take your bird to a vet; they should be able to find the cause fairly easily and provide some effective medicine. I doubt the diet change would have caused her to poop blood; coccidiosis, kidney disease, or internal injury seem more likely.

Here's a link to a couple of avian health websites I found:
Coccidiosis
Identifying health problems through droppings

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:09 am

GGButtons

Does your birdie have any red toys in the cage, or anything with red dye that she could have injested?

Eating some fruits and veggies, would not make her poop blood.

If you are seeing fresh blood, I would think that she might have swallowed some small sharp object.... and I would get her to the Vet as soon as possible.

Good luck, and keep us updated,
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

GGButtons
Pip
Pip

Post by GGButtons » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:41 am

I OVER REACTED. Sorry for the false alarm!! I reinvestigated yesterday and she has a small wound right beneath her tail. A wound still isn’t good but way easier to take care of then something internal. Now I’m wondering how she could have got a cut there.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:58 am

GGButtons

Is she an only bird, or does she have a companion?

If she has a companion, then they may have had a bit of a fight.

If she's an only bird, then you need to carefully check all the surfaces in her cage, or in any area to which she has access. It might be a bit of wire sticking out somewhere. A sharp bit, where the cage bars are attached. A sharp ended twig or bit of wood, or a sharp toy....

In the meanwhile, I would clean the cut with some antiseptic solution, and apply a tiny dab of polysporine or something similar(rubbing it into the cut gently).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

GGButtons
Pip
Pip

Post by GGButtons » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:11 pm

She is the only bird in her cage, so I will check the cage over for sharp/pointy things. Thank you for all the help!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:50 pm

GGButtons

You're most welcome.
~Elana~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:46 pm

Glad you found that it is a cut and not something internal, much easier to take care of!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:45 pm

GGButtons
Good that it's nothing too serious; a bit of vinegar could help disinfect the wound and keep her from chewing at it (at least, my birds don't like sour things).

GGButtons
Pip
Pip

Post by GGButtons » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:11 pm

Yesterday I checked her cage over and could not find anything she could cut herself on, so i'm not sure how she got hurt. The injury doesn't seem to be bothering her. Could she have pulled feathers out or accidentally bitten herself?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:45 pm

GGButtons

Now that's hard to say.
The question is, how is the cut doing? Does it appear to be healing properly?
~Elana~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:27 am

Vinegar will burn the tissue try chlorhexidine unscented or if you can not find that try Hibiclens 4% you can find it in the drug store... dilute 1 tablespoon to a gallon of water (do not get it in the eyes) wash the would a couple of times a day. Apply an antiseptic ointment like Neosporin to the wound, so not to make it too messy or too much take a small bead of Neosporin and rub it between your fingers then apply, you need to keep the feces and urine off the wound if near the vent.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:09 pm

Probably going to get yelled at for this, but...

We raised Cockatiels for a long, long time and occasionally had to deal with first aid issues like this. The most effective way we found to deal with cuts/wounds was to clean it as best we could with hydrogen peroxide, put a tiny about of Neosporin on it, and then seal it with a drop of super glue. We never had to do a single follow-up treatment and the birds rarely bothered it. I can only remember one instance where a bird wouldn't leave it alone, but I think that was due to the location of the cut on its upper shoulder; it would have picked on it with whatever treatment we used.

Yes, super glue is a chemical and yes it probably stings a bit when you apply it. But ethyl cyanoacrylate, the main ingredient in super glue, is non-toxic and the odor dissipates very quickly (within 3-5 seconds). And the lack of requiring any follow-up attention, other than an occasion check to make sure things look OK, is much preferred to constant applications of various ointments and salves.

Just my opinion... :)

GGButtons
Pip
Pip

Post by GGButtons » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:11 am

Thank you all for the help! I forgot that I started this thread. Opal is all better and is a happy little birdie.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:04 am

GGButtons

That's very good news, I hope that you and your brother or sister enjoy her company for many years to come.
~Elana~