Should I, Or Shouldn't I???

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Should I, Or Shouldn't I???

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:12 pm

Hello all burd lovers,

I have an opportunity, to snap up two baby Parrotlets for a very good price.

The question is, should I , or shouldn't I????
I am tempted, but conflicted...

I don't know much about this species, and have read conflicting information about them. Some people absolutely love them, while others claim that they are nasty wee beasties.

I've also read, that they are like tiny Amazon Parrots, but having never owned these either, this information is not in the least helpful.

So..... any advice, information or thoughts, would be appreciated.
Attachments
Screenshot_20161212-090430-576x360.png
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Should I, Or Shouldn't I???

Post by Sally » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:16 pm

I don't know anything about them. At the last mart, the table next to where I was sitting had parrotlets, and I have to admit that they were adorable! He was carrying them around on his shoulder, I think they were only 3-4 months old, yet already so tame. I was tempted.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:33 pm

lovezebs

Do you own any other hookbills, or would this be your first? It seems to me you had a linnie, but I'm not sure if I'm mixing you up with another member.
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:53 pm

Nerine

I have two Budgies, but they wouldn't be housed together.
I also had Lovebirds, for close to twenty years, urrrgghh, and never again.

Yes, I did have my darling Linnie, Kenzie, but lost him in a freak dog incident :(
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:57 pm

Sally

I am tempted....
They are approximately 2 months old, and the guy is moving and can't or doesn't want to take them with him, so reducing the price way down.

Aww geez, I've got that bird itch happening :roll: :wink:
~Elana~

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:12 pm

lovezebs

I'm so sorry...I didn't know about poor Kenzie, I thought you still had her :(

You sound like you have plenty of hookbill experience, so I would say go for it! They do look adorable; I know I would have a hard time saying no.

Are they quite tame?
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:45 pm

Nerine

I am playing a game of Russian Roulette (spelling?). If the ad is still up this evening (click), I may get in touch with the fellow again (click), and maybe make a plan for tomorrow (click) , depending if the weather is not too cold (click), becase I have to take the bus (click)......

If I go over there and see them though....BANGGG! It's hopeless then even if I have to carry them inside my shirt, under my down filled coat (and god, I hope they're not biters.... :shock: :-O :((
~Elana~

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:54 pm

:lol: you crack me up. Enjoy the bus ride. I hope for your sake they don't bite. Look really cute.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:17 pm

lovezebs

Ahhhhhhhh hahahahaha!! =)) =)) =)) =))

I'm gonna put a note in your head, right by the bullet reading " Hey, get a girl and a boy and BREED 'em! Wean yourself a seriously tame little male baby (they talk up a storm). " :YMPARTY:

Yep. I'm starting trouble, I certainly AM!"
*nodding furiously*

Listen to this little male https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krNF0OciO0I

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:26 pm

monotwine

I have seen people handling these little guys (when they're tame), and they are amazingly cute tiny things that crawl in and out of your shirt pocket, hide in your shirt collar, and snuggle under your chin.

These two that are available, have not been handraised, but are still apparantly young enough to be trained and tamed (?).

They come in different colours as well.
There is a green clutch on line as well (different person) and they are selling for exactly double the amount of these little blue cuties.
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:31 pm

Babs

You wicked imp, putting such ideas in my head, lol.

These guys are siblings sweetie, so breeding them would be [-X , seeing as we're not from one of these places where it's considered an acceptable practice.

As I mentioned to Monique (up above), there is an unrelated green clutch on line for sale, and they are hand tamed (but double the $) :(
~Elana~

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:59 pm

They would be biters! :) I've never seen a parrotlet that wasn't. It's almost like that's how they say 'Hi' or display dominance. Yes, they are as cute as they can be and they are very cuddly. But they are messy, have a bad habit of bonding to one particular person and being aggressive to everyone else, and throwing tantrums when they don't get their way.

Or maybe I'm thinking of myself... crap, I can't remember.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:12 pm

DamonIRB

LOL !!!

So you bond strongly to one person, you're aggressive to the rest of the world, you're messy, you like to bite, and you throw temper tantrums if you don't get your own way ???? Hmmmm, good to know :wink: You do live in North Carolina, right? I guess it's enough distance for me to feel safe, eh???

Have you had Parrotlets in the past? You sound like you're familiar with these little guys.

So, I guess I shouldn't put them in my shirt to keep them warm on the way home??? ~X( that's if I do end up getting them.
~Elana~

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:15 pm

DamonIRB

:))

Seriously though, do they bite worse than a budgie?

They're so small!
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:32 pm

Nerine

I can put up with Budgie bites, but a Lovebird bite....OH MY GOOD GOD !!!

I've had a Lovebird, bite right through the skin webbing between my thumb and forefinger and lock her beak like a crazed alligator. It hurt like hell, with blood going everywhere, and me shaking my hand, waving my arm up and down and screaming bloody murder, while she was hanging on for dear life, growling the whole time.

Finally had to stick her under the faucet and running cold water, and squeeze the sides of her beak with quite a bit of force to get her to release. Same bird also almost gave me another hole in my ear lobe (before it was fashionable to have more than one).
~Elana~