Speaking of good bird books....

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Speaking of good bird books....

Post by Nerine » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:00 pm

....does anyone have or has read this one?

https://www.amazon.ca/Encyclopedia-Para ... +parakeets

It has a TON of info on various species of parrotlets, linnies, bourkes, cocktails, grasskeets, conures and many other more obscure birds. I picked up a used copy last summer, as I believe this book is now out of print.

I know it's difficult to find books specifically on less common pet birds, such as bourkes. Glad I found this one!
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Speaking of good bird books....

Post by lovezebs » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:25 pm

Nerine

I'll have to look it up on Amazon.ca in used books, or go hunting in the second hand book stores.

What I would like to find, and I'm not sure if such a thing exists, is a book about common diseases and health issues in pet birds, most particularily finches and small hookbills, along with treatments.

Avian Vets, are not easy to find, and even if you do have one handy, they usually deal mostly with the larger hookbills, plus their prices are absolutely mind blowing, plus our little guys get so stressed by the experience, that they usually drop dead anyway....(boy that was a long sentence....take a deep breath Elana...)

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have an informative book you could go to, with a good list of symptoms, and the most common treatments that one can use???

If anyone knows of such a book, please let me know.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:51 pm

Don't know it but it seems worth checking out.
Too bad it's only about parrakeets.

Being where I am, lories are the parrots of most interest to me, currently I only keep 2 pairs of hanging parrots, blue-crowned and yellow-throated.
lovezebs - do look these up, I expect you to fall in love with the male blue-crowns especially! ;-)

Also, besides Amazon, Abebooks and Alibris are two sites worth checking out fir 2nd hand books. Even if ordering from abroad, they may come cheaper.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:28 pm

lovezebs wrote: What I would like to find, and I'm not sure if such a thing exists, is a book about common diseases and health issues in pet birds, most particularily finches and small hookbills, along with treatments.

Avian Vets, are not easy to find, and even if you do have one handy, they usually deal mostly with the larger hookbills, plus their prices are absolutely mind blowing, plus our little guys get so stressed by the experience, that they usually drop dead anyway....(boy that was a long sentence....take a deep breath Elana...)

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have an informative book you could go to, with a good list of symptoms, and the most common treatments that one can use???

If anyone knows of such a book, please let me know.
The list of recommended books on finchinfo.com includes several on avian health:

http://www.finchinfo.com/resources/books.php

Pick the ones you like.
Mind you, I don't think most diseases can be identified and treated based on info from books alone.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:57 am

w.l.

Thanks so much for pointing that list out to me....
Amazingly enough, I have never noticed that list of books, don't ask me how or why, lol.

I do realize, that one can't identify, diagnose, and treat everything from books alone. However, it sure doesn't hurt to have some basic knowledge, rather than no knowledge at all, and seeing as in many cases dragging our tiny patients to an Avian Vet, is not really an option, I look to books to help me help them in whichever way I can.

Thanks again.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:10 am

lovezebs

Hey Elana, have you ever considered becoming an avian vet yourself?
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:16 am

Nerine

LOL!
When I was a child, (when the dinosaurs were young), becoming a Vet, was one of the careers I thought of, but alas it was not meant to be.

At this stage of my life, I look back and think.... maybe, if I was forty years younger....

However, even without becoming a Vet, I can still pick up practical knowledge from different sources (books are one great source) which can be helpful in the long run. Never too old to learn, right? *-:)
~Elana~