New parrotlets

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

New parrotlets

Post by paul-inAZ » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:43 pm

I now have 4 pacific parrotlets.
A very young normal blue male closer to wild than tame; a 5 month old American white [AKA dilute blue] split lutino hen that is quite tame; and a bonded year plus old breeding pair -a blue split fallow and an American yellow split lutino that are not at all tame.
I plan on breeding the older pair and will work at training/taming the younger two.

The Java finches and/or a few Gouldians may have to go to create space.

I've had lovebirds and several kinds of Aussie grasskeets before but this is a new adventure.
Charming, active, innocent looking and nicely quiet little buggers but WOW can they bite.

There is not much hook bill activity here so I wonder if anyone knows of a comparable parrotlet forum. I did find one but it is on the edge of useless as far as learning anything.

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Re: New parrotlets

Post by Nerine » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:55 pm

paul-inAZ

There is the 'Avian Avenue' forum which is quite popular for hookbills, not so much for finches/canaries.
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

Finley16
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Finley16 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:43 pm

paul-inAZ wrote: I now have 4 pacific parrotlets.
A very young normal blue male closer to wild than tame; a 5 month old American white [AKA dilute blue] split lutino hen that is quite tame; and a bonded year plus old breeding pair -a blue split fallow and an American yellow split lutino that are not at all tame.
I plan on breeding the older pair and will work at training/taming the younger two.

The Java finches and/or a few Gouldians may have to go to create space.

I've had lovebirds and several kinds of Aussie grasskeets before but this is a new adventure.
Charming, active, innocent looking and nicely quiet little buggers but WOW can they bite.

There is not much hook bill activity here so I wonder if anyone knows of a comparable parrotlet forum. I did find one but it is on the edge of useless as far as learning anything.
When I had my parrolet their was a site for those kind of birds...love my little Riley...he was seven when I let a lady that her husband had died..mine said several words..
Love my pets..2 dogs..Maltese and yorkie..2 betafish, 2 fish tanks, and of course my ladygould finch..

alyse36
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by alyse36 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:31 pm

I used to have a parrotlet. Great little bird though mine would bounce back and forth: she could either be a princess or a pitbull depending on the day :lol:

I have used Avian Avenue and also Talk Parrotlets.
Alyse
*~*~*
Pickett-Black Cheek Zebra Finch (gotcha 2/11/17)
Poppy-Zebra Finch (gotcha 2/11/17)
Chica-Crimson Bellied Conure (gotcha 2/1/14)