Kakarikis

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Kakarikis

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Just for curiousity's sake.

Someone in a small town outside of Calgary, has baby Kakariki for sale ($125.00) Easter Sale.

Does anyone on the Forum have any experience with Kakarikis?

I am not really all that interested in unknown Hookbills, but simply curious about them.

Here's the ad:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-birds/calgary/ba ... nFlag=true
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Kakarikis

Post by Sheather » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:49 pm

Very active, intelligent, and independent - not domesticated, so retains a wild nature, but hand-fed they're usually handleable. Not a cuddly species, I have read they don't like being petted; the best you can ask for is a bird which steps up and will fly to you on its own terms when it's not busy exploring on its own. Males will talk.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:33 pm

Sheather

Thanks Dylan,

So they are not like the darling Linnies (which by the way, you need to get one of, you will absolutely LOVE it).

I may get a chance to buy my poor little Kenzie's parents in the near future. They are not really hand tamed, but not afraid of being handled either. Maybe they will give me a baby Kenzie #2 [-o< .

Thanks again.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:42 pm

I like lovebirds, the roseicollis specie, they are like little hooligans :twisted:

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:06 pm

Ricardo Ronsini

Don't talk to me of Lovebirds, Ricardo :evil: :evil: :evil:

I still have some scars #-o

Had Lovebirds for close to twenty years, and never NEVER again.

Mean, noisy, nasty, bloodthirsty psychopaths.
~Elana~

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:48 pm

No way lovezebs, they are sweet, innocent little angels.

I mean... How can you help loving those smiling faces :YMDAYDREAM: :YMDAYDREAM: :YMDAYDREAM:

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:24 am

lovezebs

When I was going to the pet store at night to wean my ringneck Ronan, a woman had purchased one and it was being weaned as well. While my ringneck simply sat on me for the duration, her Kakarikis flew off of her often and she spent most of her time chasing it down while it played keep-away on the floor like a manic little roadrunner.

Fast little guys. Definitely didn't like to be in one place.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:12 am

Ricardo Ronsini

Oh I can help it very easily, when I remember a lovely angelic Peach faced Lovebird, hanging off my ear lobe, supplying me with a second earing hole (way before it was fashionable to have more than one)....

...when I remember the same little darling, locking her hookbill beak, right through the skin between my thumb and forefinger and not letting go until my bathroom looked like a bloody murder scene from CSI....

...when I remember the lovely sweetheart, pulling her mate's claw out one evening, with a portion of his toe, yanking all of his tail feathers out over night, making him appear like a baby chicken the next day, or plucking all the feathers from her nestlings, not feeding them, and not allowing her mate to feed them either....

Or her beautiful daughter attempting matricide some years later, and making her sister's life a nightmare of horror.....

Never again!!!
~Elana~

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Yeah, females can be very territorial agressive.

Definitely not easy birds, but i had had tamed cockatiels and parakeets as well, and even though i do like this guys, i prefer lovebirds, they just have a unique persona.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:19 pm

Ricardo Ronsini

They have a persona alright.... 8-} 8-} 8-} :YMDEVIL: :YMDEVIL: :YMDEVIL:

I got my first Lovebird Peanut, when she still had a black beak, so still very young. She was very sweet at first, but then became mean and meaner still. She became this Psycho crazy maniac bird.

I know they are very pretty birds, and I love some of the gorgeous colour mutations, but the personality, NO
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:11 pm

Ricardo Ronsini

Just for you.... :D

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-birds/calgary/br ... nFlag=true

Should I put on my thick leather gloves, buy them, and send them to you??? :twisted: :twisted:
~Elana~

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:00 pm

lovezebs

So pretty *-*

You know, lately i have been thinking about buying a breeding couple, and so i can tame the babies.

No thick leather, these precious birds appreciate the smooth touch of delicious bare hands :twisted:

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Ricardo Ronsini

Not the touch, more like the taste, :-SS :-S :-O :((
~Elana~

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:04 pm

Sweet sweet human flesh =P~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:56 pm

[url=http://www.finchforum.com/memberlist.ph ... %20Ronsini]Ricardo

Like I said... EVIL LITTLE BIRDS!
~Elana~