Is my female parakeet ok?

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Justino222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Is my female parakeet ok?

Post by Justino222 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:22 pm

I recently noticed that my female parakeets crop is more distended than the males. Is this normal? She seems ok, but its struggling a little to get onto perches etc. Im wondering if its impacted or something. Hopefully you guys can help me? I would greatly appreciate some insight! Thanks guys!
Attachments
Image 6-28-17 at 10.15 PM.jpg

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Is my female parakeet ok?

Post by Sheather » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:37 pm

She just looks like she's overweight to me.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:48 pm

Justino222

Sorry to hear that your girl is experiencing problems.
Have you felt around her crop and chest area? Does she feel chubby?

Here are a couple of sites that might be of some help.

http://www.justanswer.com/bird-vet/7g18 ... -crop.html

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/exotic-an ... -pet-birds

I really hope it's nothing serious.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:37 am

Justino222

Separate the feathers on the extended area; if you see a yellowish layer, this is most likely fat. Gently palpitate the crop; if it is hard she may have impaction or a tumor, and if it is distended and somewhat soft, it may be sour crop. Sour crop can be treated by draining the crop and rinsing it out, but this is best left to experienced vets. Budgerigars are more likely to develop tumors than most other birds, but the tumors tend to be seen as lumps if they develop close to the surface. Benign tumors may cause some issues, but are generally not life-threatening. Goiter from iodine deficiency is a possibility, as budgies are also more susceptible to this; however, your bird seems to have enlargement of the chest, as well.
Attachments
Fat gouldian
Fat gouldian
Sour crop treatment
Sour crop treatment
Tumor
Tumor
Goiter
Goiter

Justino222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Justino222 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:52 am

Thanks guys! I will definitely check and see if it is any of these things. Hoping for the best! If it is sour crop I will be sure to call my vet.

Thanks for the help and advice!

Justino222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Justino222 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:16 am

This is what I am seeing. The crop has some give to it, and I also feel like 2 small bumps...like marbles? one on each side of the crop. I dont know if they are tumors or if I am feeling some sort of internal organ.
Attachments
IMG_0328.JPG

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:33 am

Justino222
I don't see the keel bone at all. If this isn't due to photo quality or the bird's position, it's probably safe to say she's just fat. If she is turned, it is possible that the only section visible is the right keel muscle. I'm not sure what the bumps are; perhaps thyroid glands or part of the crop filled with food? Are they hard? It's unlikely that these would be tumors, as they are usually non-symmetrical in size and location.

Justino222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Justino222 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:02 pm

I did not see a bone at all that would relate to a sternum of sorts? All I see is yellow which I assume is fat. The lumps are symmetrical in size and location. She seems fine and is eating, chirping, drinking and being fed by her companion.

If she is just fat, how would I get her back down to a healthier weight?

I do really appreciate your replies

Thank you

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:43 pm

Justino222

Cut back oily seeds (sunflower) as well as egg if this is normally fed. If they eat pellets, gradually switch them to a type that is lower in fat. You could try putting the food in a toy or something to make them work for it, so long as they figure it out.
Does she fly much? Any exercise would help, but flight is more energy-intensive than walking.
If nothing else works, you may have to limit her food intake. She will likely eat the male's portion as well if they are together, so you will probably have to separate her so he gets enough food.

Justino222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Justino222 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:45 pm

they eat a finch mix of mostly millet. I also feed sprouts and kale. I will give them outside time from the cage so she can fly around. I think I will cut back on the food as well. I always keep it pretty full at all times.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:01 pm

Justino222
Watch the male closely to make sure he's eaten enough; even if he appears to have eaten a full portion, he may be feeding some of it to the female. If they start fluffing up, they have not had enough food.

Justino222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Justino222 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:28 pm

I will be sure to! thank you SO much for the help! One of the reasons whyI enjoy this site.

Enjoy your weekend.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:47 am

Justino222

You're welcome.

You too!