Should I, Or Shouldn't I???

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Should I, Or Shouldn't I???

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:59 am

lovezebs

Yep.... :-* Go get that baby and lactate :YMHUG: <3 O:-)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Babs

You do love playing devil's advocate woman, don't you? :YMDEVIL: :YMDEVIL: :YMDEVIL:

Those Olive babies, are out of town.
She mentions in her ad that she'll be in Calgary on the 21st of the month.

The Yellow is out of town as well, and was planning on being in Calgary this weekend again.

The other bunch, are in town.....
Way too close for comfort!
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:35 pm

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:36 pm

lovezebs

What about them? :o

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:36 pm

Ricardo Ronsini

No, no, a thousand times NO!!! :evil:

Oh so pretty, but the personality is nothing like the sweet Linnie.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:05 pm

Ricardo Ronsini

Hahahahaha!

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:35 pm

lovezebs Babs

I give up! :lol:

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:40 pm

Ricardo Ronsini

Have you ever had a Linnie?
I think you would fall in love <3 <3 <3
~Elana~

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:50 pm

lovezebs

Not yet.

Actually they ain't common here, when it comes to tame hookbills, cockatiel is the name.

I have had handraised parekeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, parrots and some native hookbills.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:17 pm

Ricardo Ronsini

Linnies are not common anywhere really (as far as I can tell). They are the best kept secret of the Parrot world.

They are reletively quiet, compared to other Hookbills. They are very pretty, playfull, sweet natured, and friendly, have a funny little walk, and like to hang upside down.

The only minus about them, is that they tend to have somewhat messy poops, but from what I hear, they can be toilet trained to poop in one area. Even my little Kenzie, who was very young, was already learning not to poop on me, and would back away from me when he had to poop.

I would recommend them as sweet little companion birds.
~Elana~

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:58 pm

Elana:
I can empathize with your itch to add birds. I'm also there now -but for a very different reason.

After my injury I couldn't do anything so had friends coming in every day to care for my birds. Pretty onerous on them and a lot to expect so I sold almost all of them to cut down the size of that chore. Now down to 3 Javas; 2 Gouldians and 2 parrotlets.

Now that I'm recovering & able to attend to much of the care I'm getting the itch to add back birds. The Gouldians were going nuts with courtship so I gave them a nest. No extra work for me. She is now sitting 5 eggs.

I've been thinking of getting a few pairs of Gouldians, possibly RH parrot finches and even canaries [in spite of frustration with them a few years ago] for openers and maybe anything else 'interesting'. Whatever that may be.

Luckily there is little for sale locally & no marts coming up so I can't do anything rash. I'm not allowed to drive yet anyway so thats another obstacle.
But I'm looking and fantasizing.

And-- if you want something comparable to Linnies look at Pacific parrotlets. Same size and temperament. Quiet. Better designed intestines so no messy poops was the reason I chose them over linnies.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:38 pm

paul-inAZ

Hi Paul,

Did I miss something?
What injury?

Eventhough I missed it, I'm glad you're feeling better.

Yes, I have considered Parrotlets (actually a bit smaller than Linnies).
They are pretty and cute, but from what I hear, the personality is somehow more similar to Lovebirds, and from what I hear they also tend to be bitey.
~Elana~

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:06 am

I basically crushed my shoulder back in March. Four surgeries later I have an artificial shoulder and a partially mobile arm [so far]. Rehab for that is much longer than for any other joint. Its coming slowly though.

Parrotlets can be major nippers. Actually powerful biters for their small size. That is their only bad habit. I wouldn't say they are like lovebirds. No nipping and can be very social if tamed from infancy and kept as a single bird. Given a partner they will tend to revert to wild and prefer to be with their own kind.

I bought a bonded pair that are not tame at all with the aim of breeding them and co-parenting & taming the chicks. That requires two hands so until the right arm is more functional that is on hold.

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:21 am

Kenzie was a stunning boy. Blue birds are always stunning. I am sure you miss him greatly and that as you say accidents happen even with all our prevention plans. Another you would be so much more careful with as you know the risk.

@lovezebs
Oh come on, who are you kidding.... you only posting for us to push you over the edge and say go for it!!!!!!!!!!

=D> :wink: :lol:

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:08 am

paul-inAZ

Holy Crow! I hate to imagine what kind of pain youv'e had to struggle with...and here's me whining about my broken finger that doesn't want to heal properly.

I wish you all the best with the healing process and with rehab, it relly can do wonders.

Regarding the Parrotlets, the biting would worry me. After close to 20 years with Lovebirds, I learned that I really like to keep my skin intact, lol.

Have your Parrotlets bred for you since you got them?
~Elana~