If Anyone Is Interested In Parrots...

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

If Anyone Is Interested In Parrots...

Post by lovezebs » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:59 am

Hi everyone,

If anyone is interested in Parrots, please look into adoption before you buy, and please do some extensive homework before making a life long commitment to one or more of these birds.

Please read the following:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3774841/hund ... ever-nest/

https://globalnews.ca/news/2788473/refu ... new-homes/
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: If Anyone Is Interested In Parrots...

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:23 am

lovezebs

The woman who ran that "sanctuary" had an idea to make the warehouse a "flock". It ended up being a penitentiary for parrots.

Human raised birds that were bigger & stronger predated on the weaker, and many owners reporting their parrots died or completely disappeared there (killed by other parrots probably).

The place was filled with birds begging for human attention and getting none.

Bill Gates helped fund that project. BTW

And I find it telling that they want the birds to now go BACK to HUMAN homes.....and not in their horrible "flock" that was complete failure even before the founder passed away.

Its a sad situation indeed, my friend.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:32 am

They had it amazing in the begginging Sad that it got taken away, however personally I think that these shouldn’t be pets
as I just heard her say 75 years is there life span, not many people can even live to the age of owning one of them
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:02 am

Babs Fraza

Hi Babs and Fraser,

At least now they are in a different situation, but still not an ideal one. They need homes, with people who have the time and knowledge to care for them properly, and sadly these are few in numbers.

So few people who pull out their credit card at a Pet Shop to buy "that cute Parrot" understand the time it takes, and the commitment involved with sharing their lives with these birds.

I agree with you Fraser, that these birds should not be kept as pets by most people.

Babs, from your comments, I gather that you have heard about this situation and these birds before my Thread.

Sad situation indeed.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:49 pm

lovezebs

Yep, I read a bunch of articles from different sources on it about a year ago.

A blogger (I wish I could remember his name) who writes poetry and musings brought my attention to it.

He was manipulated into taking his beloved macaw there to gloriously become part of a "flock". He volunteered there after he surrendered the parrot so he could be close to his parrot a few days a week.

Once he saw the intense violence going on between many of the parrots, he tried to get his parrot back and out of danger. The organization refused to let him have his macaw back.

Shortly after this, his parrot came up missing (or dead).

Wendy Huntbatch was fiercely against humans owning parrots. So she strong-armed people into surrendering them.....

In her care many parrots suffered horribly.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:25 pm

Babs

So what difference did it make if she owned them or someone else owned them? I don't get it.

I don't think these large birds can be kept as a flock in an enclosed area. It's something else when they're out in nature, where there are jungles or what not to frolick in all day long, and room to get away from each other if the need arises.

I know little about the nature of these large Parrots, are they generally friendly with one another if not human raised?

If human raised, then I would assume that they wouldn't know how to react and interact in a flock situation, so what would be the point of doing this?

Had I been that fellow, I would have birdnapped my bird, then reported the bad situation to the SPCA or HUMANE SOCIETY.

Poor birds.... :(
~Elana~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:09 pm

lovezebs

Exactly. In the wild birds can get away from each other. In that warehouse they can't.

Different species all piled into each other.

Tourists would get mobbed by birds craving attention....or help. Getting bit, clawed... their clothes torn and buttons etc ripped off their clothes.

Little to no staff help left the birds to their own vices.

Petitions were being signed to try and get the facility to take the birds to the vet, to offer better conditions, etc.....even before the owner got sick.

I think at one point the place housed over 700 parrots.

One volunteer worker tried to save 2 cockatoos ....they had her arrested.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Babs

Unreal!

How is it that people who start out as well meaning individuals, end up doing much more harm than good.... :( .
~Elana~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:14 pm

lovezebs

Yes, I think it started with good intentions, but then it just got crazy. Workers had to sign all these weird papers of confidentiality.

People who surrendered their birds didnt read the fine print.....that they could never get them back.

It really turned into a crazy hoarding situation.

I tried to find the blogger who wrote about it. Cant find it. I remember he is still traumatized and filled with guilt over the loss of his parrot, and what he subjected his beloved pet to.

He was a good owner, an extremely well educated man with a healthy lifestyle.... but he bought into her pitch about "no bird should be captive by a human....all birds need a flock". So he thought he was doing the right thing. He was a very deep-thinking writer. And it wounded him so much he still loses sleep over it (last when I read it last year).
Another worker who quit, wrote about how the birds cried and screamed out constantly for humans to help them. You heard the screams of parrots being brutalized /mauled/ killed everyday, but the branches were too high to stop it and the staff too overworked to care I got teary eyed reading it. Thats when I did some research.

I understand some people dont believe in keeping parrots. But my ringneck Ronan, belongs with me and Bill. WE are his flock. And the love is mutual and our bond strong. His home is here and is forever. I am very much an advocate for owning parrots......as long as the people are skilled, educated and attentive. Ronan would be lost without us.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:22 pm

~Elana~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:57 am

lovezebs

Exactly. =((

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:17 pm

Babs

Hi Babsi,

Here are some of the victims, who luckily have ended up in Meika's Safehouse up North of here.
Attachments
Screenshot_20171005-130755-512x320.png
Screenshot_20171005-130626-512x320.png
Screenshot_20171005-130455-512x320.png
~Elana~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:10 pm

lovezebs

So nice to see the birds separated and safe! <3

I'm sure the parrots are relieved to be out of a daily hell of predator vs prey.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:14 pm

Babs

They do come away with both physical and emotional issues though, poor things.

There is a Sun Conure on the site somewhere, that is apparantly absolutely terrified when anyone so much as walks into the room.
~Elana~