My Tame Parakeets

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Sheather
Proven
Proven

My Tame Parakeets

Post by Sheather » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:30 am

These are my little buddies. The green boy is Sam, he's the leader and he turned two in April. Since Summer I've introduced two new babies, Summer who came in August and Snoopy, who joined at the end of November. Sam was hand-raised and is super tame and to my joy Summer immediately adopted Sam's trusting nature and grew up to be very friendly herself; they both spend a lot of time playing on my head and climbing around on me. We've been staying somewhere lately where they get to fly free all day in the house and always keep my entertained with their antics playing on the ceiling fan, climbing up the curtains and running around on the carpet. Snoopy has also picked up on their lack of any fear and is also quite tame already, stepping up and eating out of my hand. I just love these three little guys and have developed a very close bond with this little flock.
HPIM0775.JPG
HPIM0888.JPG
HPIM0768.JPG

For a couple of months after Summer joined before it got too cold she got to spend some time outside and the two loved that. She loved the outside so much in fact that when a visitor left the door to the aviary unlatched, about two weeks after she was brought home, she flew away. I found her a few hours later and about three blocks away, flying around in a little green space around a train station. Fortunately, because she was used to flying in large spaces and was competent at it, she knew how to glide down and hadn't panicked in her time loose. Seeing me, and hearing Sam, who I brought in a little carrier and who was now calling her like mad, she landed in a short tree where I was able to get her to step up and lift her down into the carrier. It was a close call, and I got more than a few new gray hairs that day, but she seemed to have had the time of her life and I'm sure she'd do it again if she got the chance.

~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: My Tame Parakeets

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:00 am

Sheather

Hi Dylan,

They all look very happy and content =D> .

I'm happy to hear that they're able to get their free flight time in. Also very happy to hear that you got Summer back from her Summer adventure #-o . That must have scared the living daylights out of you.

Have you recently moved?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:16 am

lovezebs

My living situation has been wonky this year. I lived at my great grandmother's house with my great aunt from 2014 until this February, and there I had my glorious bird room and outside aviary. My great grandmother died last winter and there was some drama with visiting relatives who really don't like me who stayed for several months, encouraging me to get the heck out of there. I lived with my parents for several months, and sold most of my flock because there was no space for them, but ended up being asked by my aunt to come back to the old house in August (the relatives have since gone back across the country and will, with luck, not be coming back around soon. All they wanted was my grandmother's inheritance, though they hated her in life.)

It was going to be for just for a few weeks to help empty out the house to have it for sale before winter (my late grandmother hoarded things for 72 years in this house so there is so much to go through and the various family are all very reluctant to let anything of my great grandma's go so not a lot of progress is being made) but things didn't quite go that way and I've been here since then, and probably will be until spring at least. I think that is the earliest we will get the house ready to go on the market, and that is a very liberal estimate. I will enjoy the freedom that this house, and my aunt, allows for the birds, as long as I am here! I still also have my pair of canaries and three society finches who have stayed upstairs in the old bird room again. The bird room now is pretty barren and nothing like I used to keep it before, but I've still hung some of the old wreaths and branches from ceiling hooks for the birds and they enjoy their freedom after spending about six months this year in cages.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:20 am

Sheather

That's wonderful news Dylan.

So you're back in your old stomping grounds, which is great both for you and the birds.

Can your Aunt not stay on in the house? Or does it have to be sold?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:29 am

My great grandmother had it in her will to sell the house and split the money between her four children (one of whom is a money-grubbing devil of a woman, the source of many woes for me and everyone else.) But the house can't be sold until a lot of work is done, and first and foremost until it is emptied, which has taken forever because everyone is sentimental about it.

My aunt has to leave eventually, as it's not legally her house, but she's been here so long it's like her home and it seems like her siblings don't really care about her staying because none of them, not even the one who is so toxic and money-hungry, have flown back in or offered in any way to lift a finger helping to clean it out or get it ready. It's apparently been left entirely to my aunt, and to me, which is why I guess she doesn't feel inclined to rush right out and move out. My aunt still has a house of her own across town, but it's been almost abandoned for ten years and needs so much work she doesn't know how to even go about moving back in there.

The whole thing is a fiasco, and I'm here to help my aunt out whom I care about very much since nobody else is, but it's not my rodeo and I don't have anything to gain or lose. I'm not in Grandmother's will, and have nothing to gain when the house is eventually sold. I'm just enjoying the time I have left here, it's a nice large home with a lot of memories and a lot of space. I have a room at my parent's house when the time comes to go back, and it will - I can't afford my own place yet.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:41 am

Sheather

I get it now, that's too bad.

Sometimes these family things can be such a pain in the behind, sigh, especially when you have the wicked witch of the west for a great aunt, grrrrr.

Once this house is emptied and put up for sale, maybe you could offer your aunty a hand with restoring her house into a habitable condition and live with her. Sounds like it would be a perfect solution for the both of you, with her getting the help and companionship she'll need, and you and your birdies having a place to stay.
~Elana~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:47 am

Well, the wicked witch is actually my paternal grandmother (the youngest daughter of my late great Grandmother.) We do not get along, indeed she has disowned her own children and grandchildren. I have always, instead, had a close relation to my one great aunt whom is like a grandparent to me.

I have thought of the idea of moving in to help her out in the past, because I worry about her. It was what I thought would happen before my great grandmother passed away, and it may happen yet.

Her health is quite poor, and she struggles to take care of the house alone. I don't think she should live alone.

But, this has strayed a little from the topic of budgies, hasn't it?
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:17 am

Sheather

Yes, sorry...I'm tired, and my thoughts just kinda go on their own little tangents my friend. I hope all works out for the best .
~Elana~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:23 am

Thank you Elana!

How are things in your neck of the woods?
~Dylan

~~~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:31 am

Sheather

I'm sooo glad to see you and your birds are back where you have been the happiest, Dylan (even under the circumstances).

Enjoying being the "playgym" for those beautiful parakeets? :YMPARTY:

I know their antics also bring your Great Aunt a ton of joy as well, and I am sure most of the family would rather she be happy and safe with you and the birds in a fun and cheerful house the entire family is still very much attached to. <3

Merry Christmas Dylan!

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:55 pm

I’m sorry about your situation but wanted to say it’s amzing about your budgies and how you managed to get that little summer back can I ask do you take them outside into your garden for free flight
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:57 pm

Absolutely not, they wouldn't come back.
~Dylan

~~~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:59 pm

Sheather Ohright I saw on your picture them on mullet and just wondered if you did I have someone near me who lets a pink and white and grey bird out for free flight it always fly’s over past my garden back to the houses across the road and swoops down, still don’t know what species it is I’m guessing pigion
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:07 pm

That picture is outside in an enclosed aviary.
~Dylan

~~~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Sheather Ohright okay looks good anyway I would love to be amble to have a bigger it’d on my hand my only lookis my zebby girl finchie but the others nooooo way, never had budgies but is it true that you can learn them songs from movies etx
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL