Time to ask all my questions

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Time to ask all my questions

Post by Moon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:08 am

I'm buying two mated lovebirds come Weds. I need information about diet, nesting behavior, and general information and advice.

I'll ask the stupid questions just to make sure I cover my bases. I assume the birds will be hands off during this time. Since I practice quarantine and am making efforts to ensure their good health I want to ask about my go to feeds.

I use a fortified grain from Purina for my Finch and other birds. I also offer pellets to the larger ones. Would the Purina Layer Feed be good for a while?

What about egg?

I can provide greens and fruits. Grains need to be discussed. I know an 18×18×18 cage is standard. What if I wanted bigger? Would I need to separate the babies from the parents or would they be okay on a larger cage? My biggest birds don't like being placed together. Unlike the Finch who have grown closer together in their cage environment.
New Mexico

1 female lovebird : Harley Quinn
1 male lovebird : Nightwing
3 Bantams : Ollie, Nibel, and Obi
2 Starlings : Inee and Messy
1 House Sparrow : Bat-Chat
1 Blind Pigeon : Blinky

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Time to ask all my questions

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:03 am

Moon

When I had Lovebirds for close to 20 years, they were on a small hookbill seed diet, with eggs, veggies, and some fruit.

I had them in a large flight cage, and they bred in a large size wooden nestting box.

Just a word of caution, some female Lovebirds can be incredibly aggressive, so keep a close eye on your male for plucking or injuries, also keep a close eye on the youngsters ( when they hatch ) for the same reason.

If these birds are not tame, then I would highly recommend using leather gloves when handling them (unless you have skin like an armadillo). They're bites will draw blood, can take chunks out of you, and are quite painfull.

With my female, I always had to seperate the babies from her and handfeed them (Mom was a homocidal maniac and would pluck and kill her young given the opportunity).

As adults, the young had to be kept seperately from the parents.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Moon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:12 am

I have rotation time for my birds. I'll ask about the handling. I've been bitten before by my rooster but never a hook bill. I'll get gloves just in case.

I'll need to pay attention if Bat, Messy or Inee, get on the cage. Apparently there will be territory arrangements.
New Mexico

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:13 pm

Moon

With the other birds possibly landing on the Lovebird cage, I would definitely keep an eye that they don't get their claws pulled out, or toes bitten bloody.

What does a rooster bite feel like? Having not been around chickens since I was less than two years old, I really have no idea what their temperaments are like.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Rob » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:10 pm

Moon

I was bit by a linnie recently, and boy did that hurt. No blood though thankfully. I was talking with a lovebird breeder recently, and she said they bite really hard. She always wears gloves, and even then it hurts. Especially when sitting on eggs, they can be aggressive towards hands.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:19 pm

Rob

You got that right!!! :(( :(( :(( .
~Elana~

Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Moon » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:08 pm

I got my lovebirds.... They are clutching. I need an egg food diet/calcium support/pellet mix that I can slip into the food they're already getting. I've placed fruit (apple and banana), sweet potato, the seed mix brand they were eating, and egg onto a plate. I've got two types of water flows. The shallow one seems to be preferred.

Please, if you see something I mention that isn't right, tell me. I'm petrified I'll mess up even with my history with various birds. Hookbills are a new species to me.

Positive note: My Inee and Messy were playing Mock The Bird Across the Room with Harley Quinn and Nightwing (the Lovies).

No one is leaving cages until I am sure the cages are safe for each bird. No plucked feathers, stolen eggs, ripped off beaks, missing eyes, and limbs, etc....
New Mexico

Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Moon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:01 pm

My female is biting at my male. They're a mated pair and have eggs. What should I do?
New Mexico