Building health through molt, clutching eggs and a move....

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Building health through molt, clutching eggs and a move....

Post by Moon » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:33 pm

I bought my lovebirds and at the time they were in the middle of nesting. I didn't want to stress the birds so I took the whole lot. I was checking the nest and discovered mealworms beetles.

This can lead to a number of health problems for birds and the main reason I don't feed live insects. I removed the nest as soon as I was sure the hen lovebird could handle it. The nest was cleaned and I replaced all the materials in it with dried herbs and leaves I offer my other birds.

This is not an ideal situation. I was able to trick the hen into rejecting the old nesting for the new and I largely doubt the clutch will survive the change, but I am more worried about my hen.

I need any advice that can be offered to get my girl where she should be.

Note. I am not a breeder. My birds came from breeding conditions and I am loathe to think of the history.

Nutrition is a must. I'm following the advice I pulled up online and a rehabber base plan for sick birds.
New Mexico

1 female lovebird : Harley Quinn
1 male lovebird : Nightwing
3 Bantams : Ollie, Nibel, and Obi
2 Starlings : Inee and Messy
1 House Sparrow : Bat-Chat
1 Blind Pigeon : Blinky

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Building health through molt, clutching eggs and a move.

Post by lovezebs » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:40 am

Moon

Sounds like you are doing the right things, keeping things clean, and feeding a good diet.

If you don't wish them to breed, remove the nest/nest box.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Re: Building health through molt, clutching eggs and a move.

Post by Moon » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:21 am

I separated my so called pair. Two reasons... They are flock, but not mates. Number two.... They aren't the same species of lovebird. My hen is nesting so I'll let her finish and pull the eggs at the expected hatching point. I don't want to trigger further laying.
New Mexico

1 female lovebird : Harley Quinn
1 male lovebird : Nightwing
3 Bantams : Ollie, Nibel, and Obi
2 Starlings : Inee and Messy
1 House Sparrow : Bat-Chat
1 Blind Pigeon : Blinky