Breeding Finches while having Button Quail???

snugypope
Pip
Pip

Breeding Finches while having Button Quail???

Post by snugypope » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:41 pm

I am looking into getting Button Quail in my Aviary and i was just wondering if they can be in aviaries with Finches that are breeding. Or will the Quail hurt the baby finches that end up at the bottom from not being able to fly well.

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Breeding Finches while having Button Quail???

Post by debbie276 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:14 am

I would be concerned that the quail would attack and possibly eat any chick's that hit the ground.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

delray
Tech Assistant, Social Media Manager & Mod Extraordinaire
Tech Assistant, Social Media Manager & Mod Extraordinaire

Post by delray » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:52 am

snugypope Welcome to the FINCHforum! There is lots of great reading the the Finch Information Center www.finchinfo.com . There are many articles regarding all things finches! If you put your location in our profile, it may help in the future with locale-specific questions! Enjoy the forum!
Brian
Phineas: Lightly Pied Chestnut
Ferb: Dilute Fawn

FINCHforum Moderator & Social Media Manager

Instagram: https://instagram.com/finchforum/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FINCHforum

Finchy123
Pip
Pip

Post by Finchy123 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:12 pm

Shouldn't be a problem. My quails have never seemed interested in the finches, and there a regularly baby finches on the floor when they are learning to fly. Never been any attacks.

Malti
Mature
Mature

Post by Malti » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:17 am

By button quail I think you mean Chinese painted quails? They are harmless even to a newborn even if he falls out of the nest.

javansparrow
Mature
Mature

Post by javansparrow » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:26 am

snugypope wrote: I am looking into getting Button Quail in my Aviary and i was just wondering if they can be in aviaries with Finches that are breeding. Or will the Quail hurt the baby finches that end up at the bottom from not being able to fly well.
hi. Chinese button quails are ok with young zebras. but please be careful with the Japanese quail. they will attack and try to eat young zebras, at least thats my experience.
Jim.

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:29 am

My Buttons (up to 20 in the colony) never bother the babies on the floor. It's mostly about having enough space for all to get along.

P
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Brisbane_Finches_333
Pip
Pip

Post by Brisbane_Finches_333 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:54 pm

I have always bred my finches with a pair or two of quails on the floor of the aviary, and no drama has come between them. That's assuming you mean King Quail / Chinese Painted Quail (actually called king quail because they are also from other Asian countries and Australia as well as China) instead of button quail, which look different and are of a completely different genus and are not very common in birdkeeping. The kings are the most common, so do a quick google search 'King Quail' to see.
Finch and Quail Breeder from Brisbane, Australia

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:05 am

Hi 333,
Did a quick google search as you suggested...
I think they're all the same species. Here's a quote:

"The King quail (Excalfactoria chinensis), also known as the blue-breasted quail, Asian blue quail, button quail, Chinese painted quail, or Chung-Chi, is a species of Old World quail in the Phasianidae family. This species is the smallest "true quail" and is quite common in aviculture worldwide. In the wild they range from southeastern Asia to Oceania with 9 different subspecies. "

I have a batch of 15 birds just 8 weeks old and already laying a lot of eggs these days. Can I expect these eggs to be fertile and ready for the incubator or should I wait a few more weeks to see more mating activity. I've collected a few dozen eggs in the last week.

Paul
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:07 am

Most chinese quails are ok in a mixed aviary. But you always get the odd one out that eats small chicks that have been tossed out of nests. I have also seen quails that sat on finch chicks that fledged but are to small to fly.
Marius