Peruvian Ground Dove

birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Peruvian Ground Dove

Post by birdclaws » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:15 pm

I was at a bird store today and came across two peruvian ground doves. The shop specializes in parrots and larger birds, and these two little guys were hiding in the corner. It seemed like they were not only afraid of me, but all the noise from the larger birds. I just had to get them out of there. The owner knew very little on them, and said they've had them there for 6 months without any luck of them breeding. [maybe because it's so loud?] :?

I'm having a hard time finding out anything about these guys, does anyone have an experience with them?
Brian

Gouldians, Java Sparrows, Cape Doves

Vargur
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Peruvian Ground Dove

Post by Vargur » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:32 pm

here is the dove latin name Columbina cruziana

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:36 pm

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

annague
Proven
Proven

Post by annague » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:35 pm

From what I've read (I have Diamond Doves) almost all of the more common doves are easy to keep and very hardy. Basics like a good finch seed and vitamin powder, a quiet place to nest and clean/fresh water are critical for success with doves.

Once they start breeding its almost impossible to get them to stop. Good luck! :)
Anna

Lots of Red Throat Parrot Finches, Forbes, Gouldians, BCCB's, RCCB's, Owls, Societies, and BB Fires. Plus, one wonderful 15 year old son, one wonderful husband and two rotten-to-the-core Border Terriers.

birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by birdclaws » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:38 am

Thanks for the links!

They seem to be a lot less nervous today.
Sharing millet with zebras now.

I may introduce them to the other doves later this week.

Photos soon!
Brian

birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by birdclaws » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:10 pm

These doves are extremely quiet birds. Unlike other doves, instead of coo-ing, on rare occasions, they make a croaking sound. The female (Kawa) is a light brown color and the male (Rojo) had dark browns and blacks. They both have a red stripe on their wing also. I have not introduced them to the Diamond Doves yet, but they seem to be interested in who's making all the noise next-door.
Brian

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:33 pm

That was great you sort of rescued them from parrot city. LOL. They are beautiful!
DEBORAH

bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Post by bugaboo5 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:35 pm

Those doves are neat! :) Were they costly? They look very exotic. Thank you for sharing photos. =D>
God is my redeemer and it is through Him I have found eternal happiness. I am grateful, I am blessed, and I am truly loved. I wish all this and more for all members of our finch forum family. May you all be blessed and highly favored. <3

~*Friend, companion, and caretaker for too many birds to count.*~

Nipper06
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Nipper06 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:17 am

These doves may be siblings and that may be why they don't breed. Doves typically have 2 babies per clutch and so they are normally sold by breeders in twos. Potential buyers see "a pair" but they are frequently brother and sister (or brother and brother or sister and sister). A brother / sister pair, with no other options, may eventually breed but of course this should be avoided at all costs for the genetic health of the offspring. Hopefully, this is old news for everyone on this forum. I personally go to great lengths to obtain birds from different sources so my pairs are not related - I have 2 pairs of Gouldians, all 4 of which came from different breeders. I avoid buying "pairs" of birds sold in stores unless the seller is sure they are unrelated (actually, I usually don't even trust the sellers - I just shop around and put together pairs from different sources!). So you might want to ask the Bird Store if they can put you in touch with the breeder to see if they are related or unrelated, before they breed. If they are related, you might be able to find a dove breeder who can trade you for one of them.

Another factor in why these doves are nervous and don't breed is probably that they are not that comfortable in captivity. Peruvian Ground Doves are not domesticated like Ringneck or Diamond Doves. These doves are probably just a generation or two from the wild so they are probably uncomfortable in a cage and being around people. To breed them or just make them more comfortable, I'd cover the cage with plastic plants (and put some inside) to give them some natural-looking shelter and hiding places. They would need an open type nest pan (like a canary) and I think they'd be much more likely to breed if the nest was hidden behind plastic plants. I do the same for my finches (use plastic plants) and they generally seem to like having hiding places, especially near their nest sites. Another thing doves like is the removal of the grate (if there is one) at the bottom of the cage - they like to walk and feed on the floor of the cage.

I've had Ringneck and Diamond Doves for over 30 years but I never had Ground Doves. Most books recommend a planted aviary for anything but Ringnecks and Diamonds - but these doves may adjust fine to a cage in quiet home, especially since you have other doves - it is certainly a big improvement over a bird store. Here are some photos of my Ringneck Doves:

Ron

My Pets: 2 Java Sparrows, 1 Canary, 4 Gouldian Finches, 1 Green Singer, 2 Ringneck Doves, 1 Budgie, 2 Rosy Bourke Parakeets, and 1 Mixed-breed Terrier

birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by birdclaws » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:05 am

Thanks so much for the information Nipper. Once I'm sure there are no obvious health issues with them, I plan on introducing them to the flight cage, of which will have a bunch of hiding places for them. If that doesn't work out for them, I plan on building them a larger cage just for them. I feel a little bad now knowing that they are more rare/exotic than I thought, butt their life will be a million times better with me than the pet store. :D I have covered the bottom of the wire cage with a thick layer of newspaper for more comfort. I can't remember if the shop owner said he hand picked the doves from a breeder, or if he ordered them, but I do remember he made his best attempt to make sure that they weren't related, because he wanted to breed them himself.

Does the 'poopology' of finches also apply to these kind of doves? It seems that some of their poop has a red color to it. Not dark red like blood, but artificial dye kind of red. I'm guess that it comes from some of the pellets in their food?

Also, these 'ground doves' are rarely ever on the ground. They like the highest perch. Maybe because the zebras do a good job at preening them. :lol:

Also, he had the doves listed at $175 for the pair, but considering how long they had been there, he was excited that I took interest in them and sold me the pair for $100.
Brian

Nipper06
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Nipper06 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:06 pm

It sounds like you have a nice set up for them and they will be much better off than in a bird store. They might even breed in the calmer environment. The only thing to keep alert about if they breed in a mixed aviary is some doves can get aggressive towards other doves when breeding - but I don't know if that applies to Peruvian Ground Doves or if they would exhibit that if the aviary is large enough. I know my Ringnecks get very territorial about their cages, especially when in "breeding mode".

In addition to seed / pellet mixtures, my doves like frozen (thawed) baby green peas, fresh eggfood (finely crushed hard boiled eggs), and hemp seeds. I give them these foods as supplements - the egg food, in particular, would be a rich food that they should probably not get every day - unless they are breeding (in which case, daily egg food is a good idea). Egg food will also help stimulate breeding, as will nesting material left on the bottom of the cage.

I make eggfood by mixing crushed hardboiled eggs with a little Corn Meal, and a product called Miracle Meal (available via the internet, http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/produc ... lemeal.php). I store it in the refrigerator and give them only enough for them to eat in a few hours. You can also sneek some powdered vitamins into egg food. Egg food is alot of protein and some birds - finches included - sometimes seem to show more aggression with too much eggfood so just don't over do it. But as a treat once or twice a week or daily during breeding time, it's fine.

You should also supply extra calcium when breeding. I give mine grit, crushed oyster shell, and sterilized crushed eggshells (also available on-line, http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/product_hatched.php) all the time. Doves need grit all the time anyway because they swallow their seeds whole.

Hemp Seed is also available on-line or even on eBay. Although hemp is technically a form of marijuana, it is legal as a bird food because they sterilize the seeds. Doves (and many other birds) LOVE hemp seeds - mine will fly over to me immediately (as soon as I open the plastic bag) and eat it right from my hands - but it is a rich food that is best reserved as a treat - or sprinkled over egg food sometimes. I don't know how easily your doves will ever tame but hemp may eventually get them to be braver and approach you more. I was able to hand-tame this Scarlet-Chested Parakeet with hemp and this species is not extremely tameable!

Ron

My Pets: 2 Java Sparrows, 1 Canary, 4 Gouldian Finches, 1 Green Singer, 2 Ringneck Doves, 1 Budgie, 2 Rosy Bourke Parakeets, and 1 Mixed-breed Terrier