diamond dove neck twisting around/backwards :(

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

diamond dove neck twisting around/backwards :(

Post by tinysparrow » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:11 pm

for the past week or so i have been observing one of my diamond doves twisting his neck around in really weird positions. can anyone help?

his symptoms are:
-twisting his neck around (kind of like the girl from the exorcist movie) but instead of twisting from side to side, literally upside down, so he looks at me upside down and backwards
-not perching really at all, and for the few seconds that he manages to perch, he twists his neck upside down to look around and falls backwards off the perch right onto his head and neck again. then he flaps all around when he's upside down, freaking out the other birds, while he tries to get back on his feet. this happens many times a day. because of this i have moved the perches to one inch off of the ground so he doesn't hurt himself.
-falling over when he is standing. he will literally do a backwards summersault and flap all around to try to right himself.

i feel like he may have hit his head on the top of the cage really hard. my diamond doves are pretty mellow, but once in a while they do get spooked, and fly straight up in the air. i tried to get a picture of this behaviour, so i posted a few below that i took a few days ago. they aren't the best, but you will see the weird head position. it actually gets much worse than this when he falls off the perch and flaps around, trying to right himself. could this be some kind of twirling, or maybe neurological damage? the first time i saw him do this i thought he had broken his neck and that he was dying :oops:
Attachments
photo-3.JPG
photo-1.JPG
photo.JPG
this is what his head looks like right before he gets it all the way backwards/upside down and falls off the perch
this is what his head looks like right before he gets it all the way backwards/upside down and falls off the perch
amy :-B

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: diamond dove neck twisting around/backwards :(

Post by Sally » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:39 pm

Sorry I can't help you with this. It does sound like a neurological problem, though. I don't know if doves can develop twirling, but it does sound very much like it.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lou
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by lou » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:43 am

Amy,
Watch the dove when it eats and see if it misses the grain, I'd separate it for good measures.
has it been in contact with other other foreign birds? seen any mice dropping around? It could be a few different probs.
pmv, samonala (sp) blowm ear drum
good luck
lou

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:33 am

Awww poor dove! I agree with Sally - neurological / twirling possibly from hitting his head too hard as you say. It's hard to watch them like this, isn't it? :( I hope it resolves for you Amy.
Liz

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by tinysparrow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:58 am

thanks for the help everyone.

lou, he has not been in contact with any foreign birds. he lives with his brother, his mate and his baby, all together in a community cage right now. i haven't seen mice around, they are in my bedroom, so i sure hope there aren't any mice :shock: should i treat him for anything in your opinion? and if so, what should i give him?

any sally and liz, yes its hard to see him like this :cry: he is a good daddy, and a good mate to his partner. i hope that the condition will not worsen. i thought it was twirling when i saw it the first time, as i watched a video that another forum member had posted on it and it looked similar, although it was not as severe. i will continue to monitor him and hopefully he will improve.

Angeldov222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Angeldov222 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:16 am

tinysparrow wrote: for the past week or so i have been observing one of my diamond doves twisting his neck around in really weird positions. can anyone help?

his symptoms are:
-twisting his neck around (kind of like the girl from the exorcist movie) but instead of twisting from side to side, literally upside down, so he looks at me upside down and backwards
-not perching really at all, and for the few seconds that he manages to perch, he twists his neck upside down to look around and falls backwards off the perch right onto his head and neck again. then he flaps all around when he's upside down, freaking out the other birds, while he tries to get back on his feet. this happens many times a day. because of this i have moved the perches to one inch off of the ground so he doesn't hurt himself.
-falling over when he is standing. he will literally do a backwards summersault and flap all around to try to right himself.

i feel like he may have hit his head on the top of the cage really hard. my diamond doves are pretty mellow, but once in a while they do get spooked, and fly straight up in the air. i tried to get a picture of this behaviour, so i posted a few below that i took a few days ago. they aren't the best, but you will see the weird head position. it actually gets much worse than this when he falls off the perch and flaps around, trying to right himself. could this be some kind of twirling, or maybe neurological damage? the first time i saw him do this i thought he had broken his neck and that he was dying :oops:

hi, im wondering if he did hit his head.............i had found a seagull that was hit by a car displaying the same symptoms..........keep us posted [-o< [-o<
2 cordon blues, Houdini and Baby Blue Girl
2 society finch, Mop Top and Coco
3 orange cheeks
14 zebra finch, Chipp, The Baby, Olivia, Chase, Buffy, Big Boy, Patches, Ghost, BC, 3 babies in a nest, 2 unnamed females
2 Gold breasted,
1 masked black rump, Mask
2 silverbills, Cinnimon and Spice
1 male betta
3 dogs, Blake, Bella and Brandy
SANDY

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:39 am

Ooooh! I just noticed "somebody" has a birthday cake under their avatar today...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMY!!

Okay that was a little off topic... sort of. :oops: :lol:
Liz

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by tinysparrow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks Liz!! :D 8)

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:11 pm

No help here other than what Sally and Liz have suggested :(

But I do want to wish you a happy happy Birthday Amy =D>
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:54 pm

Happy birthday Amy!!!!!

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:00 pm

I wish I knew, but I have seen this behavior with other birds at petsmart (the doves) and when you tap mon the glass they go back to normal... I hope it is not a serious matter and he is just looking for a new perspective of life. btw happy B-Day!!!!! Today was my friends birthday in school!
Dante

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by tinysparrow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:29 pm

thanks so much everyone for the happy birthdays! :YMPARTY:

i just ate waaaaaaay too much birthday cake... #-O :YMSICK: but hey that's what birthdays are for right? oh and it was chocolate peanut butter mousse cake with evil brownies inside :thumbup:

Meagan83
Incubating
Incubating

Post by Meagan83 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:32 am

Watch him very closely. I saw this behavior in one of my diamond doves before he passed away. Upon close observation I notice him having small siezures. He would stay upright and they were brief. But as days passed they got worse and he died. I also lost 2 juvenile canaries to the same fate within a day or two of the dove. This all happened in the same flight cage. It was clean. The birds were in an office. No exposure to any chemicals. No other birds became ill. I have still never found out the cause. :cry:

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by tinysparrow » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:12 pm

i took some more photos of my dove today. he doesn't look any better unfortunately :cry: after watching him some more, i do think that he may have some kind of brain damage, or maybe some kind of inner ear problem (causing him to completely lose his ability to balance) :oops:

i picked him up and held him and he can't balance in my hands at all, and he can't perch on my finger without falling off. if he goes on the perch in the cage (which is really low), he flaps all around and falls off backwards onto his head.

i feel so bad for the little guy =((
Attachments
here he is on the floor with his cage mates nearby. they were all nervous because of my iphone being in the cage taking the photos
here he is on the floor with his cage mates nearby. they were all nervous because of my iphone being in the cage taking the photos
photo-4.JPG
he goes flat on the ground and twists around :(
he goes flat on the ground and twists around :(
sorry, this photo seems to be upside down
sorry, this photo seems to be upside down
twisting his head again (again, sorry the photo seems to be upside down)
twisting his head again (again, sorry the photo seems to be upside down)

lou
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by lou » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:20 am

Ah Amy, You know this has happened to one of my finches and to several of my pigeons before, you can take it to a vet and hope for the best [-o< , or you can put on a black hat. I had birds for most of my life and most times I wind up putting on the black hat. I look at it like this, it's a 15.00 bird, no vet has ever been able to help the birds that I had with these symptoms. Amy I'm sorry for sounding so numb and harsh :(
lou