diamond dove neck twisting around/backwards :(

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: diamond dove neck twisting around/backwards :(

Post by tinysparrow » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:44 am

As Meagan was saying, i think that he may be having seizures. i have been watching him closely today, and i think that this is what is happening. he basically loses control of his body and flails all around, while he clenches his feet up tightly into little balls. he does look like he is dying :cry:

Lou, i understand where you are coming from. i will continue to monitor him and if his condition worsens I will have to make a decision about what to do with him. i don't want him to be in pain.
amy :-B

lou
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by lou » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:59 pm

Amy, I think it is going to starve to death
lou

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by tinysparrow » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:06 pm

lou wrote: Amy, I think it is going to starve to death
lou
I guess I didn't think about that :( i always put the food really low for my doves, basically on the floor in small seed troughs, so hopefully he will continue to eat. he seems to have lucid times when he is able to eat, then he switches into his seizures or whatever they are. if he is going to die soon hopefully he will be comfortable until the end.

Meagan83
Incubating
Incubating

Post by Meagan83 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:03 pm

tinysparrow wrote: As Meagan was saying, i think that he may be having seizures. i have been watching him closely today, and i think that this is what is happening. he basically loses control of his body and flails all around, while he clenches his feet up tightly into little balls. he does look like he is dying :cry:
Yes, this sounds like what I experinced. I wish I knew what it was. I wish anyone knew. In my case, I'm certain it was not a result of head trama. I never could figure it out and it has not happened since. I'd say put him in a small cage with a lamp and easy access to food. This is also a good precaution in case it is contagious. Who knows what causes it :(

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:28 pm

:? I really hope he does not die, and will get better. Have you called an avian vet for any ideas on what it may be? I hope not seizures.. By the way your doves are very pretty.
Dante

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by tinysparrow » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:06 pm

hi meagan, yes its very sad. i picked him up today and he just sat in my hand and was all crumpled up :cry: its hard because he is a really good dad, and i feel bad for his mate.

hi dante, thanks for saying they are pretty :) they are really nice birds. i would like to get a few more mutations in the future. a store by my house has really beautiful white ones with burgundy tipped wings. and no, i haven't contacted an avian vet. my impression is that he is probably going to die soon. he really doesn't look good :oops:

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:18 pm

tinysparrow wrote: hi meagan, yes its very sad. i picked him up today and he just sat in my hand and was all crumpled up :cry: its hard because he is a really good dad, and i feel bad for his mate.

hi dante, thanks for saying they are pretty :) they are really nice birds. i would like to get a few more mutations in the future. a store by my house has really beautiful white ones with burgundy tipped wings. and no, i haven't contacted an avian vet. my impression is that he is probably going to die soon. he really doesn't look good :oops:
I had a similiar problem with a sick society wwho no matter what he was treated with stayed sick and had spasms, couldn't fly. This may sound harsh but in a split second you could end the pain by snapping his neck. Also, if you can, you could always contact a taxadermist (ASAP if you want to do it) and have him stuffed and they put them on perch stands so you will have him forever. I think that is really cool. Good luck with what you choose, and I hope you do get the white doves someday!
Dante

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by tinysparrow » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:18 pm

i took a video of my dove today, i am hoping to get advice from those with experience with twirling or seizures or whatever this is about what his chances are of getting better, and what i should do. he seems to have times when he is ok, (like when he is eating and drinking and is able to stand up straight and walk around), and then he goes into these fits. sometimes he pushes himself up against the side of the cage and does this, other times he does this on the floor :cry:

:oops: ***please understand that the video is disturbing*** :oops: its not the worst condition that i've seen him in, but it is hard to watch. he is pretty still for the first few moments, then he bursts into a fit of twirling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI1m3mFrvbo

my heart wants to keep him for as long as i can, but ultimately i want to make a humane decision that is best for my dove.

lou
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by lou » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:08 pm

what are you waiting for? good luck
lou

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:53 am

lou wrote: what are you waiting for? good luck
lou
I've never been strong enough to put a bird down. :(
Liz

lou
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by lou » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:34 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean Liz, I had no problem doing it years ago with my homers, just twisted the neck and pulled, about 40 a year. As for finches and canaries, I would just pinch the neck and off to the big aviary in the sky they went. Just a little soft hearted now
lou

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by tinysparrow » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:59 am

well i put my dove into his own little hospital cage yesterday and i can say that he is doing a lot better :) it is completely lined with paper towels on the inside so that he doesn't get his wings stuck in the cage bars when he flaps around. he is still twirling, but it seems to be happening less since he has been moved. i think the other birds may have been stressing him out :-k he is on my desk where i do all of my school work, and right now he is taking turns eating and then napping with his head in the correct position. i'm not expecting a miracle, but its an improvement for sure.

ps... i've even heard him cooing a few times!

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:38 pm

Glad to hear he (and you) are feeling a little better. :)
Liz

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by tinysparrow » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:18 pm

L in Ontario wrote: Glad to hear he (and you) are feeling a little better. :)
thank you liz!

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:53 pm

Great news!
Dante