Button Quail in Aviary

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Re: Button Quail in Aviary

Post by DanteD716 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:24 pm

debbie276 wrote: The males also crow in the wee hours of the morning. A few people with mixed aviaries have said that they will eat any chicks that fall from nests, not sure if your putting them in a mixed aviary so you might want to watch that.
Sounds like a fun project, good luck
I heard that only lone males crow, so maybe it can be fixed if Cindy does a m/f pair? Or all females.

Also, I agree with Debbie tha they do attack chicks that fall, but I don't think it is an every chick they see type of thing.
Dante

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:22 pm

I won't be breeding in the flight...no nests.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by tinysparrow » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:24 pm

hi cindy :)
in my opinion, buttons don't smell, i can totally vouch for them LOL! this is a bit gross (and maybe too much information) but their poop is just different from finch/canary poop. their poop is larger and solid, and it can build up if its not cleaned regularly (just like any other animal). also, i find that certain foods make their poop smell bad... so i steer clear of freeze dried bloodworms now, as i found that this was what made it really smelly.

also, regarding your concern about having finches hanging out on the floor with the quail, i have a button that lives in a community cage full of little waxbills, and often i see my gold breast pair cuddling up with her on the floor! as well, in my other community cage, i have another button who sits very comfortably and calmly with my shaft tails and societies who love to sit on the ground. so in my opinion, its not a problem at all! additionally, all of my buttons share food containers with the finches, and there is never any fighting at all.

about diamond doves... they also have different poop... in my opinion its easier to clean up than the quail poop as it comes out in these little donut shaped balls and it dries out faster. the one thing that i found with housing diamond doves with the finches is the finches would pluck them a lot :oops: one of my females was plucked severely, so now i house them separately. this may not be a concern for you as your aviary seems like it is going to be very spacious!! also, diamond doves aren't the best at aiming at where they are going to land, so they do flap around a bit and at times they can spook the finches. but, overall, they are beautiful and very sweet. they have very calming cooing noises and are very dedicated parents :)
amy :-B

Danielle4849
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Danielle4849 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:59 pm

I have 6 BQ in my aviary. 4 females and 2 males. They don't fight at all, and they don't stink. I clean the bottom every week so I guess that's why I've never had a problem. I made a incubator and ordered the eggs from eBay. They were the CUTEST little babies. :) hubby is building another matching aviary, so I will be splitting mine into trios soon though.

strabo
Pip
Pip

Post by strabo » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:52 am

i keep mexican speckled quail in the aviary (wich i hatched myself).
same as the others have said feed them on chick crumb for a few eeks then swap to growers pellets. i crush these for about a week or two then leave them as is after that. you can by a quail mix seed but i keep them on the pellets, as they get other fod that the other birds have dropped from the feeders.
most people think that quail clean the floor but that is not the case like chickens they love to sctarch about to see what they can find.
you can feed them lettuce/cabbage raw i shred it roughly for them and scatter it around the floor as it encourages the foraging activity they enjoy also as a treat once a week i scatter dried mealworm around is good watching them as they go mad for them.
they got used to me coming in with them now i have had them take them out of my hand.
they share the aviary with my zebra finches without no problem at all,i have also had diamond doves/bourkes/canarys/weavers ect with no problems at all. but that said i wouldnt put lovebirds with them as i fould they not to sociable with other birds.
hope this helps.
50 plus zebra finches
4 pair bengalese finches
1 pair mexican house finches
mexican speckled quail.