Helpppp!

Justino222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Helpppp!

Post by Justino222 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:31 pm

i just bought 2 quail from a breeder and there was feces stuck to their toes all clumped around their toes (i didnt notice til i got home)....well i soaked their feet and gently pulled it off and i guess the feces have been on their feet for awhile cause it ate away their flesh and u can see their bone....what can i do. im glad i rescued them i just need to know what to do to help

strabo
Pip
Pip

Re: Helpppp!

Post by strabo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:49 pm

it may not be bone they have a white slippy layer under the skin take another look to make sure,
this could of occured do to bad husbandry not keeping them properly clean ect.

you need to make sure they have dry clean substrate to walk on, when cleaning the feet do not pull away the faeces but gently soak it off as you can harm the bird and gently dry after, you can use a warm soaked towel for them to walk on to help soften the faeces but dont leave them on it till its all cold just enough to help soften it without much stress to the bird.

they should be ok after a while is just a matter of keping them clean.
50 plus zebra finches
4 pair bengalese finches
1 pair mexican house finches
mexican speckled quail.

Justino222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Justino222 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:27 pm

Thanks sooo much. I got it all off. They r doing great!!!!

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by tinysparrow » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:09 pm

hi,
what i do is take my buttons out once a week and clean off their feet :) their toes can fall off if you don't clean them. when i saw your post, i remembered this this youtube video that was really helpful to me when i first got them. i had no idea what to do at first because one of my buttons is crippled, so she drags herself along the floor and would always have built up food and poop on her feet. i found that soaking their feet, like it says to do in this video, really helped! i don't do such a fancy set up like the person does in the video (i just use a small bowl of warm water), but i hope that the video will help you with some ideas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtUk1QsuaEw
amy :-B

strabo
Pip
Pip

Post by strabo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:33 am

you very welcome, glad to know they doing ok now
50 plus zebra finches
4 pair bengalese finches
1 pair mexican house finches
mexican speckled quail.

Justino222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Justino222 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanks so much for the vid!!!! Was helpful. I have 2 baby button quail i rescued as welll but they r in great condition.