Two diamond dove babies hatched!

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Re: Two diamond dove babies hatched!

Post by DanteD716 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:55 pm

I need a pair.. Lol, i hope the cage I have is big enogh. It said minimum is 15x15 with is pretty small
Dante

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by tinysparrow » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi Dante
I've had my doves in a huge cage (it's probably 5 feet by 4 feet by 5 feet) and I really didn't like it. They were always flapping around in it and scaring my other birds to death. I like it when they are in a smaller space so they can aim at their perch and really get there. I found with having them in a huge cage they were great when they would go up high to roost (because they would stay still) but when they were trying to travel from perch to perch and aim at the perches in such a huge space they would have trouble getting there. They just don't hit their targets as well as finches do :)
amy :-B

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:54 pm

tinysparrow wrote: Hi Dante
I've had my doves in a huge cage (it's probably 5 feet by 4 feet by 5 feet) and I really didn't like it. They were always flapping around in it and scaring my other birds to death. I like it when they are in a smaller space so they can aim at their perch and really get there. I found with having them in a huge cage they were great when they would go up high to roost (because they would stay still) but when they were trying to travel from perch to perch and aim at the perches in such a huge space they would have trouble getting there. They just don't hit their targets as well as finches do :)
I heard they have bad eye site. I'm going to kepe my pair in a 20x20 with one perch going lenght wise and a nest, and I will let them free flight a couple hours a week, that is what this website reccomended. I don't have any abba nestboxes, any ideas on how to make a nest?
Dante

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by tinysparrow » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:43 pm

anything wide is good :) i have seen people use large milk cartons that they cut in half widthwise and then put hooks into. the breeder that i got my pairs from used small, (and deep), tin bowls that he had attached to the side of the cage. i have yet to try them in a traditional wooden nest box, although i'm sure that would work too.

they aren't picky, trust me :wink: my females were laying in large seed hoppers that hook onto the side of the cage.

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:20 pm

tinysparrow wrote: anything wide is good :) i have seen people use large milk cartons that they cut in half widthwise and then put hooks into. the breeder that i got my pairs from used small, (and deep), tin bowls that he had attached to the side of the cage. i have yet to try them in a traditional wooden nest box, although i'm sure that would work too.

they aren't picky, trust me :wink: my females were laying in large seed hoppers that hook onto the side of the cage.
Thanks for the help Amy! I am thinking of using an OJ carton, and cutting it down so it is a few inches high, and putting hooks on it to attatch to the cage. Deffinatly roomier than the canary bowls some people use.
Dante

Perfex
Incubating
Incubating

Post by Perfex » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:26 pm

The family are simply adorable and I'm so glad the little one is doing well! Congratulations
Michelle P

Black Bellied Fire Finches
R/T Parrot finches (Normal and seagreen)
Forbes PF's
Blue Faced PF's
Gouldians
Owls
Variety of waxbills
Sun conure
10 rescued cats
4 Dobermans

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by tinysparrow » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Perfex wrote: The family are simply adorable and I'm so glad the little one is doing well! Congratulations
thank you perfex! i am glad that the baby is doing well too :) i took a few pics today, the baby is really growing fast. the female is also sitting on another egg, so that was great to see. (you can only see her tail sticking up in the photo, while she's sitting in the nest).
Attachments
photo 1-1.JPG
photo 2-1.JPG
photo 3-1.JPG

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:09 pm

Oh my he has grown!!! Glad to see him so big and healthy!
Dante