Button Quail Crazies?

Starfighterace
Pip
Pip

Button Quail Crazies?

Post by Starfighterace » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:01 pm

Looks like my little lady quail decided to sit thanks to the tips from the forum. But today, what I saw was the most bizzare behavior from both of the CPQs. It's like the "crazies" the housebound cat goes thru- flapping around, scurring around as fast as they could, bouncing from side to side, then stop, roll around on the floor, get up again and scratch like a mad man, hop up and down, and run around again. First the male did it and then the female did it. I didn't know what was going on. I went and got a fresh batch of food & water because the comotion totally fouled both containers, and it stopped. The female came out, took a few bites, drank some, and it was her turn to do the same thing! I though they were poisened or something. Went on for about 20 min then she went back to sitting and he went back to looking around. As soon as she settled down again, she comes flying out of her space, bounced off the wall and went nuts again! I though for sure something was in the cage, but found nothing. Now all is peaceful and the EGF is calm again and all the comotion upset him to no end as well. No one else but me was in the room, no loud noises, no new food, nothing out of the routeen. Do female CPQ get the crazies from sitting and the male from no none to "play" with?
What is the price of five sparrows--two copper coins? Yet God does not forget a single one of them. Luke 12:6 (NLT)

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: Button Quail Crazies?

Post by tinysparrow » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:41 pm

hi Starfighterace,
that's awesome that the female is sitting on her eggs :) i find my quails can be pretty spastic at times. some days they are very calm and cool, and other days they are very fidgety and nervous and run around in circles. most of the time they will come and eat out of my hand and let me scratch their heads, but on off days they are seem nervous.

it sounds like your pair may have been spooked by something, like you said. when my hens sit, (the two that do sit), they are glued to their eggs. maybe one of them was spooked and then the other one just followed suit?
amy :-B

Starfighterace
Pip
Pip

Re: Button Quail Crazies?

Post by Starfighterace » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:04 am

Hey Tinyparrow!

I hope that's all it was. It's the frist time I ever saw it, and hopefully the only time. Everybody was content for the rest of the day, and so far today is the same. But it was plain scary, thinking they were poisened by something I fed them or something was in the cage.

I'll just keep an eye on them and listen for any change in behavior.
What is the price of five sparrows--two copper coins? Yet God does not forget a single one of them. Luke 12:6 (NLT)