Rescued Button Quail

PrettyBird
Proven
Proven

Rescued Button Quail

Post by PrettyBird » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:32 pm

Some of you have read my other post about the new button quail we got our daughter for an early Easter gift. Well we rescued another BQ. This one was in rough shape, and had been severly plucked on the head, and beak. The beak head a bloody hole in it. She was attacked by another BQ.
The person who had her only bought her to use her eggs to feed his reptiles.
He fed her a diet of dollar store Niger seed, millet spray, and reptile calcium powder if you can believe it. He cage was absolutely filthy, and had no hiding spots, no nothing. She didnt even have a dish to feed off of. The person would just sprinkle it on the ground. I found the reptile calcium powder in its container in the cage, with the lid off, laying on its side.

When I got her home, I washed off her head, and put some ointment on her scalp and beak.
Shes been very frightened and would stay in the corner of her cage.
Since then I have put her with my daughters BQ.

I think my daughers BQ sensed that this one was injured, and she went right over to her and cuddled next to her. These two have bonded very quickly. I can see that the injured one is slowly coming out of her shell, and she will follow the other one around.

My question is, this BQ feathers feel dirty. I dont know how I can describe it. Almost like a chalky texture when you pick her up.
My daughters BQ feels nice and glossy. Like a normal healthy bird would feel.

This one, however feels very different. Is it because of the diet she was on? Will her feather condition improve after a while on a better diet?
Dee
English & American Budgies, Gouldians
AACC member
http://lilbirdtoys.weebly.com

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Rescued Button Quail

Post by Sally » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:50 am

Poor feather condition is usually due to nutritional deficiencies. With a better diet, lots of protein, her feathers will start to look better, and then the next molt should show a big difference. Do BQ's like to bathe? Regular baths can also help with feather condition.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Starfighterace
Pip
Pip

Re: Rescued Button Quail

Post by Starfighterace » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:54 am

Button Quail like to bathe in "dust". Try a dish of Chinchilla Sand. I put it in a covered bath, otherwise it will get everywhere and cover everything. Mine absolutely love it.

Keep an eye on the pair. They will seem to get along well for a while, then start fighting for what seems to be no reason. The only ones I can keep together are my original pair. Whenever, I need to clean the cages, I have to keep the others separate, otherwise it's an instant fight. And not just posturing, but full blown dust-up. The last time, one was injured so bad he is still gimping along 2 weeks later.

Good luck with these little guys. They can be a great source of entertainment and frustration.
What is the price of five sparrows--two copper coins? Yet God does not forget a single one of them. Luke 12:6 (NLT)