Peruvian Ground Doves

Rox
Proven
Proven

Re: Peruvian Ground Doves

Post by Rox » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:21 am

Thanks Dante!!

Sadly, I had to rehome these doves, purely because they are so flighty and just don't settle. If I was into individual cage breeding, it would be fine, but in the avairy with the smaller finches, it was getting a bit chaotic and dangerous for the smaller birds. These doves just lose the plot too easily and go completely crazy when disturbed. My focus is on the finches and when I saw one of the doves almost collide head first with one of the star finch fledgings, I decided they had to go :(

But I would definitely get them again if I had the set-up for them. They are beautiful birds, breed like mad once going and have the most wonderful 'croaking' call :D
Roxanne

Gouldian's, Blue Breasted Cordon Bleu's, Orange-cheeks, Violet-eared, Black-cheeked waxbill's and Peter's Twinspots

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:31 am

Rox wrote: Thanks Dante!!

Sadly, I had to rehome these doves, purely because they are so flighty and just don't settle. If I was into individual cage breeding, it would be fine, but in the avairy with the smaller finches, it was getting a bit chaotic and dangerous for the smaller birds. These doves just lose the plot too easily and go completely crazy when disturbed. My focus is on the finches and when I saw one of the doves almost collide head first with one of the star finch fledgings, I decided they had to go :(

But I would definitely get them again if I had the set-up for them. They are beautiful birds, breed like mad once going and have the most wonderful 'croaking' call :D
Thanks Roxanne! I did reply to your Pm. Maybe one day you will get some again! :D One idea I have though of for people with aviaries, that want birds that dont generally work in their aviaries, is buying a standard flight cage (maybe around 30x20x36) the ones on wheels, they can easily be placed inside an aviary, like against the aviary wall. So they don't take up space outside the aviary, but can technically be kept in the aviary ;)
Dante

Rox
Proven
Proven

Post by Rox » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:53 am

Dante, not a bad idea! Luckily Peruvian's are relatively easy to find here in SA, so I may get some again in the future. I do miss their croaks - it sounded like there were bullfrogs in the garden!
Roxanne

Gouldian's, Blue Breasted Cordon Bleu's, Orange-cheeks, Violet-eared, Black-cheeked waxbill's and Peter's Twinspots

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:16 am

Rox wrote: Dante, not a bad idea! Luckily Peruvian's are relatively easy to find here in SA, so I may get some again in the future. I do miss their croaks - it sounded like there were bullfrogs in the garden!
:lol: I will have to google their sound! It sounds very unique! And if you happen to get more, post pictures! :D :lol:
Dante

birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by birdclaws » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:45 am

Here's a video of my male PGD croaking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRB-7qPtNbk

:shock:
Brian

Gouldians, Java Sparrows, Cape Doves

debbie276