Peruvian Ground Doves

Rox
Proven
Proven

Peruvian Ground Doves

Post by Rox » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:26 pm

I found this pair in a petshop in December and I must admit that they were a pure pity purchase. She was bashed up with a bloody shoulder and they both looked like they were going to have a heart attack any second. It's taken them a while but they are now finally settled and had their first baby.

Meet Fred, Wilma and Pebbles, who I'm hoping is a female. Anyone?

I must say, I could hardly find anything online about these birds when I bought them and I would love to hear from others who have them. I find them incredibly gentle birds that have the most lovey and expressive courtship. And with that "croak" of theirs, they have a very special spot in my heart.

Roxanne

Gouldian's, Blue Breasted Cordon Bleu's, Orange-cheeks, Violet-eared, Black-cheeked waxbill's and Peter's Twinspots

Perfex
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Peruvian Ground Doves

Post by Perfex » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:14 pm

They are lovely, and baby Pebbles... Too cute!!!
Michelle P

Black Bellied Fire Finches
R/T Parrot finches (Normal and seagreen)
Forbes PF's
Blue Faced PF's
Gouldians
Owls
Variety of waxbills
Sun conure
10 rescued cats
4 Dobermans

birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by birdclaws » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:36 pm

I too bought a pair out of pity- but have learned to love these birds.

The pair I have are startled very easy as well. They have laid eggs before, but have never incubated long enough for them to hatch.

Congrats - I don't know anyone else who has them let alone who has bred them.

Mine are currently housed with a couple diamond doves and a cape dove. They can be a bit pushy with the others, but have not caused an real harm to each other. I will say that I had my hen become eggbound once and the male started attacking her when she got weak. It's the only time I've seen that with any of my birds. Other than that, I don't treat them any differently than my other birds and they seem to be doing fine.
Brian

Gouldians, Java Sparrows, Cape Doves

Rox
Proven
Proven

Post by Rox » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:07 am

Brian, I mentioned on a previous post that I thought the reason why they bred now was because of the larger aviary they are now in and a deeper nest cup. But a big part that I left out is that they now have a dirt bottom in the large aviary, where as before they were in my little aviary, which has a metal grid at the bottom. They spend a huge amount of time on the ground, digging holes and scratching in the dirt. Not sure if this is what finally did it for them to breed?

Mine are still quite nervous compared to the finches and canaries but they have settled a lot. These photo's were the first time they actually stayed on the ground when I was photographing in the aviary.
Roxanne

Gouldian's, Blue Breasted Cordon Bleu's, Orange-cheeks, Violet-eared, Black-cheeked waxbill's and Peter's Twinspots

birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by birdclaws » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:43 am

Good to know about them having access to soil. I'm not sure if I would have space to design something other than what they have...I thought it was strange that they are called ground doves as mine never come down from hiding in the fake plants at the top of the cage. :)

I think absolute privacy is best but even when I had the cages lined with blankets (so they couldn't see me in the bird room), they still would freak out while changing seed and water every day. I just don't think they're been bred in captivity enough to fight their instinct to hide when they see a human. I had read some stories of people with exotic doves who have had them die from them violently trying to flee within their cage. :(

The other problem that I ran in to was finding someone interested in buying the doves. It doesn't seem like there are too many people interested in doves and any that I would breed I would most likely end up keeping, which would lead to me needing more space! #-o But that photo you put up of their young one is making me want to try again...
Brian

Rox
Proven
Proven

Post by Rox » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:36 am

The baby is gorgeous, isn't it. Everyone falls in love with her. Luckily doves seem to sell where I am, so I don't think I will have a problem finding homes if this pair breeds more. I am making a point of being in the baby's face a bit, just so she isn't as human terrified as her parents were. So far she is quite chilled.

My only other suggestion if you want to try breed again, is maybe add some canary seed. Sounds weird but I have a mixed aviary, hence different seed bowls which everyone eats out of. The doves love the canary seed. Perhaps the higher oil content may also be what is helping. Otherwise they also have a peck on the veggies and fruit and go through a lot of cuttle bone.

Hope this helps a bit if you decide to try breed again :D
Roxanne

birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by birdclaws » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:36 am

Thanks!

I was thinking of seeing if I can get them to lay eggs again and then put them under my diamond doves to foster and raise them. The diamonds are a lot more calm, it would be interesting if the peruvian ground dove would act like them. :)
Brian

Rox
Proven
Proven

Post by Rox » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:51 pm

I had to post this photo of Pebbles...

The biggest baby in the aviary, cuddling up next to the tiniest birds. Too cute :D

Roxanne

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Adorable!!! =D> :D
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Rox
Proven
Proven

Post by Rox » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:06 am

I think I am going to have to seperate this pair for a while if they carry on at this speed...

These 2 hatched 20/04/2013

21/04/2013

26/04/2013

Their speed of developement compared to the finches always amazes me
Roxanne

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:30 am

They look great! =D> :D
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by birdclaws » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:31 am

Congrats!
Love the photo of them with the goldbreasts as well. :lol:
Brian

Ginene
Molting
Molting

Post by Ginene » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:44 pm

Wow!!! Congrats on the new babies :D . I too love the pic of Pebbles with your goldbreasts.

Rox
Proven
Proven

Post by Rox » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:14 am

Thanks everyone :)

Poor Pebbles needs to be moved to my little aviary (now the currently empty juvenile flight) today :( The parents did a whole weaning/chasing routine with her when they first laid the eggs and then settled down again. So I thought all would be fine... But since the new hatchlings, both parents are now daily getting more agressive with her. Pebbles will be moving to the juvenile flight as the permanent dove resident and I will be sending over 2 Society's to keep her company for now. Luckily I have 3 Gouldian fledglings I need to move over next weekend, so soon she will have lots of company again. She will now be the nursemaid for all future finch/dove juveniles :wink:
Roxanne

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:06 am

Just saw this thread.. And I must say I love the doves!! I have never seen them before! I really like diamonds, but these are beautiful! And little Pebbles is adorable! Would love to see hose big she is now Roxanne! Any updates? :D
Dante