Advice for ringneck dove couple

stephenswife2012
Pip
Pip

Advice for ringneck dove couple

Post by stephenswife2012 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:26 pm

I have recently acquired 2 ringneck doves that are a couple. Lady and Tramp are their names lol. I am new to owning doves and would like to ensure that they are given the proper care to ensure healthy and long lives plus healthy eggs that are fertile someday.

A little about our doves, they are both about 8 years old, hand tame and happily kept in a large indoor aviary with 2 male finches. They all have their own nest boxes, multiple perches, cuttle bones, and food and water dishes. I give them an occasional treat stick and have begun to give them a little bit of millet spray and grit to help especially with the finches.

What are some ways to ensure healthy, happy lives and successful breedings? Attached are the links to both Lady and Tramp

Thank you,
Trinity

Toddmin
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Advice for ringneck dove couple

Post by Toddmin » Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi Trinity,

Did you say the doves are 8 years old? If so, those are not young doves, though they can live a long time in captivity. We have 17 Albino Ringneck doves that we keep in our outdoor aviary, a few of them are around twenty years old. We give them wild bird seed for food. They would lay eggs, sit on them for a while, but rarely would have a chick hatch until I built larger nest boxes for them. After that, the doves had enough room so they were no longer fighting for nest space, and our dove population skyrocketed. If you are going to keep yours indoors, it sounds like what you are going to feed/provide them will be plenty. They are not fussy and are very easy to take care of.

Good luck!
- Todd