Dove sounds

Justino222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Dove sounds

Post by Justino222 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:08 pm

hello all:) i just got 2 pairs of ringneck doves. one of the females had gotten sick upon arrival but fixed her up with a hospital cage so now shes all better than ever and back in her normal cage. but my question is both of my females always make this very faint noisy. its very short like an (err) sound. kind of raspy. does anyone know what it could be? thanks so much:)

Justino222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Re: Dove sounds

Post by Justino222 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:14 pm

Also my male dove whom ive had 3 months seems to be always picking on my female. they are in a 6 foot cage 4 foot wide. he chases her around and bites her head n neck area. is it a breeding thing. or does he not like her? im new to the quail world.

Rox
Proven
Proven

Post by Rox » Fri May 31, 2013 4:44 am

The male chasing the female around sounds like he wants to breed. I have Peruvian Ground Doves and once the previous clutch has fledged and weaned, the male starts frantically chasing the hen around the aviary and actually chases her to the nest area he has chosen. If your hen is ready for breeding, they will soon settle and she will start laying. If she isn't ready, I suggest you keep an eye on them as it can get stressful for the hen. I remove the eggs now once they have been laid. They just breed too much!

I can't help with the sounds though. The Peruvians make a croaking sound (like a frog) but the Diamond dove I have does a very gentle coo-coo dove sound and I think it's a hen based on the eye ring. I will let people who have Ringneck doves answer that one :)
Roxanne

Gouldian's, Blue Breasted Cordon Bleu's, Orange-cheeks, Violet-eared, Black-cheeked waxbill's and Peter's Twinspots

Toddmin
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Toddmin » Fri May 31, 2013 10:12 am

The Diamond Doves do have a sweet, soft cooing sound.

My Albino African Ringneck Doves are much louder and make a variety of sounds. Most of the times it's the males and it sounds like a lot like a pigeon. The males can get aggressive when mating, especially if there are other males around to fend off. It's not unusual to find a dove with a little bald spot in the back where another dove has plucked a feather (they've always grown back).
- Todd

Justino222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Justino222 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:51 pm

Wow! Thank u guys alot. I was just making sure he wasnt just being a meanie. Lol i noticed today hes been standing on a perch flicking his wings gently. I also have another breeding pair that sits about 20 feet from this pair im talking about. Could that be why hes being a lil aggressive because theres another male in the same room. (Diff. Cage). I think all will be ok. Just a newcomer worrying myself lol