Doves fighting :(

Maria Faith
Pip
Pip

Doves fighting :(

Post by Maria Faith » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:09 am

Hey,

I had a pair of ringneck doves for a few years now. When I had picked them up, the store lady said that they where paired, however, shortly after brining them home, it did not take long for them to start fighting. I have kept them in separate cages this whole time cause if I do not they will pull out each others feathers.

The female dove likes people more then other birds. The male dove likes other birds more. We have the male with finches and a canary with no problem. Once in a while he may chase them, however, he is largely good. The female we have separate and she loves spending time with people. The male bird wants to mate all the time, this is why I suspect they are fighting. Got to admit, its really funny when once in a while the male dove will do the matting cooing to the little canary.

Any ideas on how to make them friends, I would gladly listen. Thanks for your time.

Maria Faith
I am your hostess, Maria Faith

1 amazing fiancé.
+ 2 ring neck doves
+ 2 canaries (one atlantic and one red factor)
+ 3 society finches (and babies)
+ 4 zebra finches (and babies)
--------------------------------------
= A whole bundle of joy <3

It's not about what you want, it's about what you can do.

Lisa
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Doves fighting :(

Post by Lisa » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:51 am

I've never kept doves myself so can't offer much in the way of advice.

I think one of our members, birdclaws , does though... maybe he can offer you some insight!

birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Re: Doves fighting :(

Post by birdclaws » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:47 am

I can't say I know much about ringneck doves, but my dove certainly get aggressive when they are in breeding mode. The aggression isn't just towards any other birds that are in their territory, but I've seen males chase and pluck hens until they get in to the nest. If you don't plan on breeding, I would keep them separate for a while. Keep in mind that doves need grit at all times as they swallow seed whole. I also add powdered calcium to my hens seed as mine lay eggs all the time regardless of there being males present.
Brian

Gouldians, Java Sparrows, Cape Doves