Would these quail species get along?

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Would these quail species get along?

Post by DanteD716 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:56 pm

Do, since I'm getting an incubator for my birthday what better than to have my dad build me a coop with a yard/fun attatched to it?! So I was wondering, would the following species get a long provided that the enclosure is large enough? :
Bobwhite quail
Button quail
Courtenix quail
And a silkie chicken if possible
Dante

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Re: Would these quail species get along?

Post by monotwine » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:03 am

Not kept all those, but somehow my gut is saying no. Even same species cannot be kept in groups. Maybe just stick to chickens. There are some very interesting types.

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:40 am

I had bobwhite quail and braham chickens together without a problem but it was probably because of the size of the braham's. The bobwhite quail can be rough with each other if you have multiple males. A covey of one male to about 6 hens worked for me.
The button quail wouldn't stand a chance with the other quail. The button and silkie's might work though. I wouldn't put the bobwhite with the courtenix either. :?
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:45 am

Maybe I can do button quail and silkies? I would get more than one chicken, but I.am not sure if they are legal in the city. Lol!
Dante

lonchura_boi
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by lonchura_boi » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:43 am

ive kept buttons and japanese (courtenix) together with mixed success. had an agressive male japanese that killed a button but otherwise never had any issues at all. the buttons would cuddle in under the japs and even groom them.
bobwhites ive never mixed with anything other than californian but that was out side the breeding season so it was fine. ive found californian mix well with most things.
you never call me when your sobar

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:20 am

lonchura_boi wrote: ive kept buttons and japanese (courtenix) together with mixed success. had an agressive male japanese that killed a button but otherwise never had any issues at all. the buttons would cuddle in under the japs and even groom them.
bobwhites ive never mixed with anything other than californian but that was out side the breeding season so it was fine. ive found californian mix well with most things.
Californian are so beautiful!! I have been considering some
Dante

lonchura_boi
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by lonchura_boi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:08 am

californian are very vocal however, if you have neighbours they might not enjoy them as much as you lol. bobwhites can ver very loud first thing in the morning but otherwise quiet. japanese and button are quiet so long as you dont have a lone male

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:54 pm

I know this is an old topic but having a lot of experience with poultry/gamebirds I figured I'd chime in for anyone else who might be considering this.

I would not house chickens with any of the smaller gamebirds. No quail, partridge, or pheasants. Chickens tend to be kind of rough and can actually produce sterile hybrids with pheasants (as well as guineafowl). Silkie chickens are generally very docile but I still wouldn't advise it.

I kept Bobwhite Quail and Corturnix together without issues but the cages were very large. I had a few pairs of Corturnix and a trio of Bobwhites.

I would not advise keeping Button Quail with anything other than small flighted birds due to their diminutive size. You might possibly get away with the Corturnix and Buttons mixed together but I would watch them very closely and have a back up plan just in case.

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

lonchura_boi
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by lonchura_boi » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:59 pm

my californian gets on great with my hens, though they are only bantams, and the grey hen is his foster mum, she raised him from day old.
Attachments
IMG_2650.jpg
IMG_2649.jpg