Button BABIES!!!

Danielle4849
Hatchling
Hatchling

Button BABIES!!!

Post by Danielle4849 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:51 pm

I hatched my buttons in an incubator a while back. A little over a year ago. I had 6, but I'm down to 5 now. I have a pair that I moved into their own cage recently because I noticed the hen kept trying to sit and there were too many other quail in the same cage. I gave hiding places for her, but she just didn't use them. She decided to make a new nest in the corner of the cage where there is the most 'human traffic' in the house. The aviary is right on wall of the main entrance to the house and stairway. Yesterday I thought she had given up on her eggs when I noticed her off the nest. But looking closer I saw her feathers ruffle. She had 4 little babies under her!! I hurried and cleaned out all the pine shavings so I could get some ground food down for them to find. And of course add some rocks to the water dish! I almost threw away an egg thinking it was a dud, but there was a baby half way out and still alive. I set him up under a heat lamp and some warm damp clothes for humidity. I ended up 'helping' him out. He was exhausted! After a couple of hours (him napping) I put him with the hen and she immediately got him under her. This morning he was getting around pretty good - just not running like the others. I still have hope that he will make it since he is able to get to the food. We will see what I find when I get home today :D

The cage looks a mess in the pictures before I cleaned it out. I hadnt been able to really clean it other than a little scoop here and there and some new bedding. I didnt want to bother the sitting hen!!

This is the little survivor. The yellow one making his way to the food dish.

chirpy
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Button BABIES!!!

Post by chirpy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:27 pm

holy cowwww they are adorable!!!!
Mommy to:
2 Soc's: Bebop (Roseanne cause she's a big girl!) & Rocksteady
1 Black and white cat: Poker (aka Pokes, Pokey)
1 Ball Python: Riff (aka Hawk-eye)
1 Lutino Cockatiel: Stewie (RIP! I love you <3)
1 Avid rib eating sports fanatic.
1 Accident prone 2 year old daughter.

1st clutch: 07/04/2013 - 4/6 fertile 1/4 DIS.

Danielle4849
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Danielle4849 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:34 pm

chirpy wrote: holy cowwww they are adorable!!!!
Awe!! They REALLY are so cute this small!! :lol:

Lithium
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Lithium » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:51 pm

So cute! I want some.

Stevie

Post by Stevie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:53 am

Danielle4849 wrote: I ended up 'helping' him out. He was exhausted!

Sounds like he would not have made it without you. [-o< How cute they look, adorable :D

Corkysgirl
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Corkysgirl » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:56 am

Button Quail are great! I love mine! That's so amazing that the little one made it! =D>