Substrate for quail

Stevie

Substrate for quail

Post by Stevie » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:19 am

Hi

I going to be incubating and hatching some button quail soon. I'm thinking about the substrate. Can I use sand :?: Seems easier to clean compared to the wood shavings.

Corkysgirl
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Substrate for quail

Post by Corkysgirl » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:12 am

You can use sand but you can also use a mixture of sand and aspen shavings, or shavings with a layer of eco- straw on top so the shavings don't get thrown around as much and contaminate the water. The sand has it's own issues, moisture, clean up. You may already know this but shallow water dishes with marbles in it prevent drowning. Best of luck! :)

Stevie

Post by Stevie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:37 pm

Corkysgirl wrote: You can use sand but you can also use a mixture of sand and aspen shavings, or shavings with a layer of eco- straw on top so the shavings don't get thrown around as much and contaminate the water. The sand has it's own issues, moisture, clean up. You may already know this but shallow water dishes with marbles in it prevent drowning. Best of luck! :)
Great idea about the marbles thank you. Will maybe try a few different substrate to see what I like. What is your favourite thing to use?

Corkysgirl
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Corkysgirl » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:05 pm

I like the aspen shavings with a little eco-straw on top. Then I have a container with sand on the side for scratching and for "dust baths." What you can do is look for you tubes of various button quail...substrates and see what others use. You can get a general idea that way of things you can and can't live with. You may get some good ideas. I saw one woman use plastic mesh/sheeting over her metal grates so the chicks had better footing. It's another idea. This is her video. Good luck! :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDj_UHuFMGU

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:09 pm

I like Kaytee's Crushed Walnut litter. It's clump-able and I can sift it with a bird or reptile litter scoop.

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove