Quails in a Parrot Cage

mightymarshal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Quails in a Parrot Cage

Post by mightymarshal » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:50 pm

I know a lot of people keep button or coturnix quails in with their finches and I assumed that they were kept in large aviaries. I thought it might be cool to one day have a few quails (we've had chickens, ducks, geese) but wrote it off as a "If I ever have an aviary" type of thing. I was cruising around a chicken forum and watching videos on YouTube and quite a few people mentioned that they kept their quails in parrot cages. I assumed they meant the very large, 6'+ parrot cages but as I read and watched further they were just standard sized parrot cages. Some of them used bedding, some of them just put the quails in the bottoms of their cages with the grate to keep them from the droppings and a place for them to bed and a dust bath. Is that really good for the quails? It seems like the grate on the bottom of the cage might make it difficult and the size seems awfully small for keeping a quail (maybe button and coturnix quails are smaller than I assumed?) I have a 24X24X58 cage and I assumed that was much too small to keep a quail in but it seems like that's the size people are using. Is my assumption that that's too small way off? THANKS!

NewTampanian
Nestling
Nestling

Re: Quails in a Parrot Cage

Post by NewTampanian » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:58 pm

mightymarshal wrote: I know a lot of people keep button or coturnix quails in with their finches and I assumed that they were kept in large aviaries. I thought it might be cool to one day have a few quails (we've had chickens, ducks, geese) but wrote it off as a "If I ever have an aviary" type of thing. I was cruising around a chicken forum and watching videos on YouTube and quite a few people mentioned that they kept their quails in parrot cages. I assumed they meant the very large, 6'+ parrot cages but as I read and watched further they were just standard sized parrot cages. Some of them used bedding, some of them just put the quails in the bottoms of their cages with the grate to keep them from the droppings and a place for them to bed and a dust bath. Is that really good for the quails? It seems like the grate on the bottom of the cage might make it difficult and the size seems awfully small for keeping a quail (maybe button and coturnix quails are smaller than I assumed?) I have a 24X24X58 cage and I assumed that was much too small to keep a quail in but it seems like that's the size people are using. Is my assumption that that's too small way off? THANKS!
I have seen this type of setup as well, but if I were you I would house them in a long finch cage. They're little escape artists and they're squeeze through nearly anything. I mean after all they are the size of a zebra finch, or at least mine were. Also the bars might be harsh on their little feet. I would worry about that as well.
1 Red Capped Cardinal
1 Blue Grey Tanager
1 Silver Beaked Tanager
1 Turquoise Tanager
1 Black Faced Dacni
2 Diamond Dove
1 Saffron Finch
1 Superb Starling
1 Amethyst Starling
3 Zebra
2 Gouldian
2 Pin Tailed Whydah
2 RCCB
2 Orange Bishop
1 Fire Finch
2 Java
2 Spice Finch
2 Bobwhite Quail
2 Arucana Chickens.
2 Orange Cheeked Waxbill
1 Dog
1 Blue Fish

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:18 pm

I would never keep quail on grates. That sounds very cruel to me!! And I agree that they need more room than a tiny cage :(
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

NewTampanian
Nestling
Nestling

Post by NewTampanian » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:20 pm

Ursula wrote: I would never keep quail on grates. That sounds very cruel to me!! And I agree that they need more room than a tiny cage :(
I agree, I wouldn't want to do them either.
1 Red Capped Cardinal
1 Blue Grey Tanager
1 Silver Beaked Tanager
1 Turquoise Tanager
1 Black Faced Dacni
2 Diamond Dove
1 Saffron Finch
1 Superb Starling
1 Amethyst Starling
3 Zebra
2 Gouldian
2 Pin Tailed Whydah