Are doves affectionate?

Lacybug
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Are doves affectionate?

Post by Lacybug » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:52 pm

Hey there. :)
So recently I've really been wanting a hand-raised parakeet/budgie because I've heard they're extremely affectionate and bond with their owners. But I'm still worried about their loudness level (even though I'd only be getting one I know they're chattery). So I've been looking into a dove instead. Can you lovely people give me some information about their personality and affection towards people? I'd love a bird that loves to be held, pet, scratched, and sit on my finger, etc... Thanks!
Poe (NG) & Little Beep (NG/Pied)
Gandalf (NG/Pied) & Peep (CFW)
Sir Richard (Penguin/Pied) & Gwendolyn (Fawn Penguin)
R2-D2 (CFW) & Penelope (CFW)
Nyota the Senegal Parrot.
Crease the hand-tame pegleg (CFW)

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Are doves affectionate?

Post by Sally » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:43 pm

I've only had Diamond doves, and I always had a pair for breeding, so I didn't try to bond with them. They are lovely small doves. I don't know anything about the larger doves.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Are doves affectionate?

Post by Hilary » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:28 am

I've had a ringneck, Stuart, for eight years now, and he considers me to be his mate. While he doesn't cuddle (such as a small parrot might do) he's affectionate in that he gets excited whenever I come into the room and usually will go into his bow/coo courtship dance. When taken out of his cage he'll sit quietly in my lap or on my shoulder. His cooing can actually get quite loud, but the good news is that for years my neighbor just thought a wild dove lived close by. :D

My diamonds are in pairs and are very flighty - not at all what I would call affectionate. I couldn't say whether a single bird would be more friendly.

You might want to look into a linnie (lineolated parakeet). I've only had mine (Chuckles) for a short period of time and he's still getting used to me, but he's very active and really quiet. He makes a soft chuckling sound, and he occasionally likes to softly echo the cockatiel's call and whistle.
Hilary