can diamonds be with zebras

Post by ROOKIEBREEDER » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:06 am

can diamonds be housed with zebras?

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Re: can diamonds be with zebras

Post by monotwine » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:24 am

They can if the enclosure is large enough. I kept Diamond doves and Zebra together in the past, but the smallest size aviary they were kept in was a 2m x 1m x 2m high aviary. I never saw them get into fights with each other, usually the male doves are aggressive enough with each other and I landed up only ever keeping single pairs.
A few zebra every now and then would steal feathers from a docile baby dove if they were not quick enough about moving, but nothing serious like plucking.

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:25 am

I would not keep any doves with finches if there was not enough flying room. Because doves wing span is so much wider, it could cause smaller finches harm if they were to try fly in the same space.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:12 am

I once put two cages together to form a flight cage 5' long, 1.5' deep, and 3' tall. I thought it woud be big enough to have a pair of Diamond doves and several pairs of Zebras. It did not work, as every time the doves flew from one end of the cage to the other, the Zebras would be frightened and fly to the opposite end. It was constant turmoil except when the doves were resting. As monotwine has said, it usually won't work unless you have a lot of space.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

ROOKIEBREEDER
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ROOKIEBREEDER » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:22 pm

i don't have diamonds yet but would it work if they lived together in a mixed aviary at the breeders location

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:41 pm

That would depend on how large an aviary. I'm assuming it would be OK with the breeder, or you wouldn't be considering it.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:05 am

My diamonds are in a double flight with Gouldians and Owls currently and have also been housed with Shaft-tails and Societies. Smaller cages are certainly harder because they can literally knock a finch off perches if there isn't enough room. But in the big flight no one pays them any attention at all. They are also much calmer in there as well.

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Chris103 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:59 am

I'd have to agree that they wouldn't be the best to mix in a cage. I've kept Diamonds, Capes, and Zebra Doves with Finches in large flights and aviaries without issues. The Finches may be afraid of the doves at first, but after a while they acclimate to sharing the same space. I caught a few of my Gouldian chicks preening, or playing with one of my Diamonds tail feathers the other day...He didn't seem to mind a bit!

If you're trying to breed Diamonds in the same enclosure with Finches, I have had an issue with Zebras stealing the Doves nesting material. The Doves went on to raise two chicks regardless of no nesting material. Diamonds nest are so flimsy anyway, it's usually the nest pan, box or basket that actually holds the eggs/chicks in place...not their so called "nest".
Chris

Gouldians: GB-YB-BB-SB
RTPF
Societies
80+ Zebras in many mutations
Diamond Doves-working on a new mutation!
Mearns Quail-coming soon!
Mandarin Ducks
Senegal Parrot of 15 years

Previously: Macaws, Conures, Amazons, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Softbills, Tons of Finch species, and native rehabs. Currently-A Whitewing Dove and 4 House Finches.