button quail, help! (leg problem)

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

button quail, help! (leg problem)

Post by DanteD716 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:58 pm

Help! I just bought a pair of buttonquail and they gave me a 3rd for free. But here's the catch, she has a twisted femur. Her leg is turned the complete opposite direction. Her other leg has masses on each toe probably from dragging it. She has to flap around to move but goes through droppings and gets herself dirty. I honestly don't know how she made it to three months of age. I don't see any quality of life for this bird but i don't know how to go about this situation as I've never had a bird with this handicap. They're ground dwellers so it's not like platform perches help. Any ideas on what to do?

I've posted this on Facebook as well. I'm not sure what to do! She needs some special cage/care to have any sort of a decent life. She's much smaller and scrawny than the other two.
Attachments
Snapchat-20140928084831.jpg
Snapchat-20140928084824.jpg
Snapchat-20140928084742.jpg
Dante

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Re: button quail, help! (leg problem)

Post by DanteD716 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:58 pm

I have them in a regular finch cage until i go get they're bigger cage tomorrow
Dante

lovepoodle
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by lovepoodle » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:45 pm

Oh Dante, I'm so sorry.... poor little thing.. You should separate her from other I think.. cuz, they're little evil sometimes. They do Cannibal too... I hope they will get along though.. Good luck with her.
MAMI

Lady Gouldians
Parrot Finches (RF,SG,Pied SG&RF,BF) Societies,
Red Bellied Parrot,Violet Indian Ringneck Parakeet,Rose Breast Cockatoo,Princess of Wales parakeet,Turquoisine & Scarlet chested parakeets,Cat,
Poodle LATTE & MOCHA

David
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by David » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:52 am

Sorry to hear that , but I think it's important to separate this quail from other birds. Don't want it stress out when others around the same cage, especially can't move properly compare with normal birds. Try to give some food that can be place as low level as possible , or better if you put it in a shallow dish on the cage ground, so easily to eat. This quail can perch or no with current leg problems? If so I'm thinking in order to help your quail's leg, maybe you can use some perches as low as possible so won't hurt itself. If not then maybe not use perches at all, hope these will help you. You are so kind to help a bird with disable, the bird is lucky to have a nice owner like you. Please let us know if any more questions, maybe other members can help solve your problems even I can't provide all the info you need. :D

David

David

David
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by David » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:58 am

Dante,

Also don't forger put shallow water for it to drink on the cage floor if possible, and I suggest you put some soft tissues around where you think the bird might often poop at, like around the floor since they can't control whenever need to poop. Even better for your quail to move around the floor area no matter what when you put some soft paper towel or tissues. This way also will help it clean the bottom/vent area by absorb it, even you can't actually help the qual's leg to stand on something before poop. I hope all your birds will continue to stay healthy, and the handicap one as well, good luck to you!

David
32 zebra finches

David

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:35 am

Dante, sorry you have to deal with this situation. Often it is easier for others to pass on their problems than to just deal with it.

I'm afraid if that is not a fresh break that could be set, splint and hopefully straightened. Then the kindest thing is to euthanise her. Ground birds don't do well without legs I'm afraid. Been there done that. The bird will struggle on, but as you said they have no quality of life and the others may eventually pick on her.
Sorry. :(

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:03 am

Thanks everybody. . She passed away.
Dante

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:18 pm

So sorry. Probably the best thing for the poor hen.

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:10 pm

monotwine wrote: So sorry. Probably the best thing for the poor hen.
That's what i think. I'm guessing it was the stress of a new environment added to the fact that she was already sickly and not doing to well. I was going to have her put down in regardless
Dante