Diamond Dove breeding success

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Diamond Dove breeding success

Post by DanteD716 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:37 pm

I have stated previously i was having trouble getting my diamond doves to breed in cages. Since introducing them to the aviary, they have selected a mesh bowl nest, lined it with grass, twigs and canary nesting material, and laid two white eggs, one day apart. They've been sitting since the first egg, so now 4 days. First egg is showing early signs of development, I'll candle them again in a few days. They are great parents and tight sitters and won't move even when i sweep under the nest, and one of the parents is always on the nest, i thought maybe the female would do majority of the sitting but it seems even. The other parent goes to eat, or sits on the perch directly above the nest and chases off the other doves, they don't seem to mind the other birds. The second pair is courting and building, the males spread out their tails like peacocks and bend over and coo, so neat. These are first time parents so I'm hoping they feed. I highly recommend an aviary when breeding if possible. They like stiff materials like twigs, dried/hard grasses, and pine needles. Also this pair has chosen the nest closest to the ground, about 3.5 ft up. I'm not sure if this was just random but it helps to offer then at different Heights.
Dante

kristofer
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Re: Diamond Dove breeding success

Post by kristofer » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:06 pm

I bred mine in flight cages of around 90cm, they do like stiffer materials and the spacious cage helped me a lot in breeding them since they are some what decently sized birds compared to the finches. One more thing, if they start breeding they are like pringles they never stop :P
Bird species bred up till now : Zebras, Bengalese, Javas, Diamond doves, Canaries.