Incubating Button Quail eggs

Societies&Zebras
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Incubating Button Quail eggs

Post by Societies&Zebras » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:21 pm

So i have decided to raise my own Button Quail!! :mrgreen: I have a few questions I would like to be answered.. I plan on buying the Farm Innovators Still-Air Incubator. I plan on Hand-Turning the Quail eggs and marking an X and O on each side. How would I turn them? Do i just flip them from X to O (3) times a day? Also, do i need the humidity high? I mean, i heard of people doing a Dry Method without using moisture until the last 3-4 days. Should I do the Dry Method? Thanks, i just really want a high hatch rate. It would be nice to have some Buttons around. :wink:
Hi I'm Zachariah.
Zebras: Celeste&Piper&Isabelle +2 babies!!
And hopefully many more finches to come!!!! :) :D :) :D

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Re: Incubating Button Quail eggs

Post by DanteD716 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:02 pm

Zachariah i can't help too much here, but i think the dry method may work. All i know is when turning the eggs all you simply do is turn them into the opposite side. Sorry i can't offer more info. Best of luck, and by the way i like your name!
Dante

Societies&Zebras
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Societies&Zebras » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks. :) Hopefully someone who hatches them could help me out some more. But, thanks again. I appreciate everyone's answer. :wink:
Hi I'm Zachariah.
Zebras: Celeste&Piper&Isabelle +2 babies!!
And hopefully many more finches to come!!!! :) :D :) :D

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:21 pm

Well it really varies depending upon the ambient humidity level.
If you have sufficient ambient humidity, the so-called 'dry' method will work and you provide humidity only during lockdown.
If you don't have sufficient ambient humidity, they'll lose moisture throughout the process and when it comes time for draw down, the membrane will stick to the chick in a manner that prevents proper pipping and hatching.
Too much moisture is equally problematic, as the tissues get profused with moisture. This reduces the size of the air pocket and makes proper pipping and hatching significantly more challenging.
So you usually monitor the size of the air pocket and adjust the humidity accordingly.
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

TailFeathers
Mature
Mature

Post by TailFeathers » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:11 pm

Hello,

I'm just curious as to why you would want to hand turn. Wouldn't be counter productive if you missed schedule?

I know that some quail lost ability to incubate their own eggs due to selective breeding, but I've senen people use chicken hens as the incubator.

If you're going to use an incubator, I'd go with an automatic version, but everyone has their own preferences.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:30 am

I've used an incubator a couple of times and have to say it was nice having the gizmo turn the eggs for me (I'm lazy). That said MiaCarter sounds spot on for humidity. Where did you get your eggs?
Hilary

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:43 am

Tailfeathers --- Some opt to hand turn due to the problems with some of the auto-turner mechanisms.

It's difficult to find one that works properly in a reliable manner with small eggs, like the smaller quail and finch eggs. Most are designed for larger eggs.

And the turners that work with smaller eggs aren't always available for/compatible with every incubator.

So I imagine that this is an issue for some.

That said, an auto-turner is very convenient.
Hand turning is tedious and you must be very precise.
Humum to....
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

www.PetFinchFacts.com

atarasi
Weaning
Weaning

Post by atarasi » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:23 pm

Some of the table top incubators have different turning rings depending on the size of the eggs you want to hatch. I have a duck/chicken sized turning ring and one for tiny finch eggs. I've hatched button quail eggs a few times with an extremely high hatch rate. This is a high humidity type where you just add the distilled water, turn the turner on, set the temperature and forget it. When the chicks hatch, they look like tiny chickens.

I doubt you could use a live chicken to incubate button quail eggs as the chicken could just step on them plus they aren't going to turn them carefully. You might get away with society finches hatching a few quail eggs and remove them as soon as they hatch. After they hatch, you need to use a brooder to keep them warm for a few weeks. They are funny to watch as they fall asleep right in the middle of eating, walking, etc.

I rarely use my incubator and if people weren't so far away, I could lend it out.
Jordan

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:33 pm

It's been years since I incubated any eggs, but my Button hen is currently brooding on 14 eggs. So fingers crossed I get some babies.

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

jamezyboo21
Weaning
Weaning

Post by jamezyboo21 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:10 am

colt

Did your button hatch out her eggs?? My female started brooding after her 7th egg and now has 12 eggs. Her and the male both sit on the eggs. They bred several times for the previous owner. Im hoping they hatch.
Society Finches, Fire Finches, Strawberry Finches, Owl Finches, Plum Head Finch, Goldbreast Waxbill Finches, Orange Cheek Waxbill Finches, Blue Capped Cordon Finches, Zebra Finches, Bronzewing Mannikin Finches, Red-Cheek Cordon Blue Finches, and Button Quail

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Thu May 07, 2015 8:38 pm

They didn't hatch. She and the male are still sitting on them, but I'm beginning to think they aren't fertile.

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

jamezyboo21
Weaning
Weaning

Post by jamezyboo21 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:29 pm

colt

I'm hoping mine are fertile. I ended IP taking the male out yesterday. At first she was letting him sit on the eggs with her but then she wouldn't let him come back in the nest. She has been sitting super tight on them. She won't even get off them when I put my hand in the cage.
Society Finches, Fire Finches, Strawberry Finches, Owl Finches, Plum Head Finch, Goldbreast Waxbill Finches, Orange Cheek Waxbill Finches, Blue Capped Cordon Finches, Zebra Finches, Bronzewing Mannikin Finches, Red-Cheek Cordon Blue Finches, and Button Quail

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Tue May 19, 2015 4:38 am

Colt I'm sorry to hear yours didn't hatch.

jamezyboo21 - I hope yours do well!

I've been on the lookout for someone with local button quails but it's surprisingly hard to find someone! (Surprisingly difficult as there are lots of farms around here!)

Everyone has eggs. But I'm not in the mood to make a new incubator and deal with all the hand turning (and I don't want to invest in a real incubator as I'd never use it.)

I've got a big terrarium that would be perfect for them! It's like a fish tank design, but it has a fine mesh for the walls and a soft screen ceiling panel (so it would be pop-friendly!) . A friend made it for raising chicken babies and ducklets. It would be the ideal size for 3-4 button quail....but I can't find any!
Humum to....
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

www.PetFinchFacts.com

jamezyboo21
Weaning
Weaning

Post by jamezyboo21 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:12 am

MiaCarter
I should have babies hatching hopefully before the weekend. It I counted correctly today should be the 14th day of her sitting tight on the eggs. Up till now she has barely left the nest to eat or drink. I even cleaned the cage the other day so it would be clean for the babies and I moved the boxes she is sitting in and she didn't budge. I'm hoping for a successful hatch. My button quail gave from a man who had them in an aviary and they had raised babies several times.

jamezyboo21
Weaning
Weaning

Post by jamezyboo21 » Sat May 23, 2015 10:46 pm

So I have good news....the button babies hatched! So far 11 out of the 13 eggs hatched but mom is still sitting on the last 2 eggs with the babies. I helped a little bit and removed all the empty shells. Hopefully tomorrow the other 2 will have hatched. It took 18 days of incubation. I noticed the past few days my other female seemed broody so I stuck some eggs in her nest and her and the male have been going in and out of the nest looking at the eggs and building a nest around them. I'll add pics soon!