Some of My Ultimate Red Diamond Doves...and others!

Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Some of My Ultimate Red Diamond Doves...and others!

Post by Chris103 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:47 am

Some of my Diamonds....mostly Reds and Ultimate Reds. Also a Blue WR, Cinnamon Cock, and the Male sitting on his mate is a WR Cinnamon/Red. Crazy how the Red mutation gets masked due to the WR gene! The only sure way to tell them apart is based on the color of primary flight feathers.

I'm in the process of repairing their aviary and the flight I use for the Red's...so they are all mixed in one cage for a bit. I wasn't planning on breeding since they are all mixed together, but after 3 clutches were layed in feeders and on the cage floor....I gave in and provided a few nest. Image
Chris

Gouldians: GB-YB-BB-SB
RTPF
Societies
80+ Zebras in many mutations
Diamond Doves-working on a new mutation!
Mearns Quail-coming soon!
Mandarin Ducks
Senegal Parrot of 15 years

Previously: Macaws, Conures, Amazons, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Softbills, Tons of Finch species, and native rehabs. Currently-A Whitewing Dove and 4 House Finches.

Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Re: Some of My Ultimate Red Diamond Doves...and others!

Post by Chris103 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:02 am

The Cinnamon/Red pair are in my Juvenile Gouldian flight. They got a bit Agro with the other doves. The chicks pictured are a Blue WR/Silver and I'm not sure about the other...I saw the mother mate with three different males! Its visually a Blue WR...but split to either Red, Cinnamon, or Silver. They all take turns incubating and feeding though...so I can't be too certain to much. Any chicks produced will be put in the Zebras aviary to do their own thing since I usually keep mutations separated...especially my Reds, I worked hard to produce the that line lol!
Chris

RTPF
Societies
Mandarin Ducks

Previously: Macaws, Conures, Amazons, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Softbills, Tons of Finch species, and native rehabs. Currently-A Whitewing Dove and 4 House Finches.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:18 am

What is the mutation in the 6th photo down, the one just below the photo of the baby and a penny (adorable baby BTW!)? Is that a cinnamon? Beautiful!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Chris103 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:16 am

Thanks Sally! The sixth picture is a Red/Ultimate Red Hen. The Cinnamon is #10. Red and Ultimate Red are just selectively bred varieties of the Cinnamon Mutation...because of that, colors can vary. Some birds fall between varieties, and can at times make it hard to decide if a hen is a well colored Red, or actually an Ultimate Red. I'm not even sure if there is a true standard written for the mutations!
Chris

RTPF
Societies
Mandarin Ducks

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:43 am

I enjoyed your photos. I love diamond doves! I will be adding a pair to my outdoor aviary in the spring time. I don't see many different mutations around here. I like the Reds...very pretty!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Chris103 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:40 pm

Jen wrote: I enjoyed your photos. I love diamond doves! I will be adding a pair to my outdoor aviary in the spring time. I don't see many different mutations around here. I like the Reds...very pretty!
@Jen Thanks! I love Diamond Doves too! They may not be the smartest birds lol, but they make up for it in other ways. I have a pair that will be 15 years old this year! They havent produced a fertile egg in a year, but the still go through the motions. I've use them as fosters many times. If I put a nest with eggs or chicks in the cage they will immediately start caring for them, its so sweet!

I should have some extra Reds and others available in the Spring if you are looking for some. Im not too far from you. I'm getting about 3 hens to every one male hatched on my Reds....so I'll no doubt have a surplus of Red hens!
Chris

RTPF
Societies
Mandarin Ducks

Atbird
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Atbird » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Such lovely birds. Diamond doves are so cute. I purchased a pair this year, but from a questionable source, so I'm wondering what they're going to do this spring.
Image Storm & Sky

Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Chris103 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:56 pm

Atbird wrote: Such lovely birds. Diamond doves are so cute. I purchased a pair this year, but from a questionable source, so I'm wondering what they're going to do this spring.
@Atbird
Thanks! They really are cute little birds! The young are sooo adorable and tiny, but grow like weeds! Totally helpless to fledging in 12ish days. Good luck with your pair this Spring! Some can be slow to start breeding, but once they do, they can raise two or more chicks a month...getting them to stop can become the hard part. I have to separate the sexes for them to rest. Some will try and use anything for a nest...food dish, the cage floor, I recently watched a hen lay an egg right off the perch! Again, not the most intelligent of birds. .but they make up for it in other ways : )

If you have any pictures of your doves, I would love to see them!

Edit-can't get my "mention user" to show?
Chris

RTPF
Societies
Mandarin Ducks

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:03 pm

Awesome pictures sir. ;) I have a pair of blues and a pair of silvers now. Still haven't been able to track down any reds locally but i might just have to get some from you. :)

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

Sam007
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Sam007 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:14 pm

They're very beautiful. Little baby is too cute. Awesome pictures! :D
I love Gouldian Finches.

Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Chris103 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:33 am

Colt wrote: Awesome pictures sir. ;) I have a pair of blues and a pair of silvers now. Still haven't been able to track down any reds locally but i might just have to get some from you. :)
@Colt
I'll definitely save you some! I'm thinking I'll make it to the Bird Mart in May, and can bring you a few :)
Sam007 wrote: They're very beautiful. Little baby is too cute. Awesome pictures! :D
Thanks!
Chris

RTPF
Societies
Mandarin Ducks

Rox
Proven
Proven

Post by Rox » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:51 am

Wow, those are some stunning diamond doves!! The Red's are beautiful =D>
Roxanne

Gouldian's, Blue Breasted Cordon Bleu's, Orange-cheeks, Violet-eared, Black-cheeked waxbill's and Peter's Twinspots