Ringneck Doves

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Ringneck Doves

Post by Sheather » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:59 am

I had the opportunity to get a family of these guys this week for free from a man locally who was relocating to another state, so the other day I took it and had two young doves and their newborn nestling brought over. They're HUGE, but they're also so sweet and without a mean bone in their bodies. The male, Books, is relentlessly noisy, though, and bow-coos almost without stop (sometimes even in the dark!).

His mate, Glasses - these two were named by very young children and I found the names so dumb as to be adorable - is pretty silent. They're both comfortable with petting and light touching but do not like being picked up and will only step up briefly and if forced, so they need some work taming. They settled into the aviary remarkably well, and in fact had no hesitation at all caring for their nestling (who I had no idea was included until he was brought over with his parents!) even after being put into a new cage and taken in a car and then to a completely new home and new surroundings and a new nest! Upon receiving the family I was sooo concerned they would definitely abandon him since their old nest wasn't included and they weren't even in their old cage, but I simply let them out, set the tiny chick up in a new basket in the bird room, and set mom in it to show her where it was. Both parents went right back to parenting as if nothing had changed, thankfully - I can't think of any other bird which would be so extremely cool about such a huge change to a nest and surroundings! Certainly no finch. Certainly not my diamond doves which abandon after the slightest disturbance, such as merely bumping the nest.

So Sparky, as I called the little chick once I was sure he was going to be cared for, now is seven days old and growing strong and is so ugly as to be cute. He's very well fed and mom and dad continue to attend him. I am handling him a lot, as mom and dad don't mind at all, and hope to tame him from the start into a friendly, hands-on pet-quality animal. He so far absolutely loves being petted and held.

Books on the left and Glasses to the right.

Courtship display.

Their new home sure is a step up from a small cage!

Dad gives his little one some supper.

A plump and happy tot, for sure!

And already making friends with the other children in town - Uno, an eleven day old little budgie.

~Dylan

~~~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Ringneck Doves

Post by Sally » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:43 am

I think they are lovely, just too large for my setup. That baby is adorable! I too would keep the names, they are very unique!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Leo519
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Leo519 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:25 pm

What a fine looking pair, and their chick is SOOOO cute!! :)
Laura

Society, Spice, and Owl finches, Gouldians
Red Cheeked Cordon Bleus, Senegal Fire finches
American Singer canary

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:18 pm

How adorable. Congrats on the newbies. I'd seen the photos on Facebook and wondered what the story was behind them.

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:41 pm

Wowee!

What a story!

I can't believe they adjusted so well! That's overwhelming to go from a cage to a room, especially a room with lots of other species! And to adjust so beautifully with a baby? Incredible!
I'm sure it helped that they're people-friendly. I imagine that would make it a bit less frightening.

I love doves.

I think their names are just precious! And the photo of the two babies is just so adorable! I didn't know you had another 'keet baby! So cute.

How are they getting on with the other doves?
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

Atbird
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Atbird » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:57 am

I didn't see this thread. Congratulations on your doves. How are they doing? Have they tamed more?
Image Storm & Sky

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:32 am

Atbird I only kept their son. I handled him for literally hours every day from the time he arrived onwards and now as an adult he's very, very tame. The adults were given to a lady with an aviary a while back after he weaned. They were happiest just with each other and the female especially was fearful of anyone who came into the room at night and would thrash everywhere. It just didn't work out in a household.
~Dylan

~~~

Atbird
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Atbird » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:44 pm

sheather

My diamond dove is very thrashy, and at night she'll bang around and scare my kids :o . What's the personality of the baby. Does he follow you around, can you pet him?
Image Storm & Sky

erine
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by erine » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:00 pm

I know this is an older thread but I love doves and just wanted to say how cute the little one is!
A pair of Gouldians, Red Cheeked CB's, Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Javas, and Cutthroats. And, two canaries. And, 3 kids, a dog and a patient, patient husband.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:57 pm

Atbird Sparky follows you around, likes to sleep in laps and will let you pet him until the cows come home. He bow-coos to everyone he meets and likes to preen hair.

He gets along well with finches and loves the budgerigars but he's aggressive with the diamond doves (not sure if he wants to mate with them or just beat them up but either is bad!) so can't be with them unsupervised.
~Dylan

~~~

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:03 pm

Sheather I'll take 17
Dante

Atbird
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Atbird » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:58 pm

sheather

I think when my next cage frees up I'm getting a dove :) I really wanted one, but at the time I couldn't find any. I like the size of them and the "quiet "... Compared to screechy parrots. I imagine them like little feathered cats walking around, not super clingy but not too timid. I got the diamonds because I thought they were like mini doves and while cute, they didn't turn out as tame as I wanted. I love my linnies, but wish they were bigger. I hope there aren't any doves at the bird show I'm going to Saturday. They're usually super cheap and my husband has warned me, NO MORE ANIMALS :P
Image Storm & Sky