Dove Behavior

Paddington
Hatchling
Hatchling

Dove Behavior

Post by Paddington » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:29 pm

So for those of you who have not been following the saga, I recently acquired a pair of diamond doves from a bird fair. Most of my experience is with finches so this has been a bit of an adjustment.

Since my cage was set up for finches I have had to do some rearranging. The pair of doves seems to prefer running around the bottom of the cage to the perches above them. I have covered the bottom of the cage with aquarium gravel but it doesn't seem to bother them, instead I think they like rooting around for seeds.

The other thing I noticed is that one bird will sleep on the perches higher in the cage and the other sleeps on the ground. Is this normal? Is this just a species difference since doves are ground dwelling birds? He doesn't look sick or puffed up he just seems to like sleeping on the ground.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Dove Behavior

Post by Sheather » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:02 pm

My three diamond doves regularly rest on the floor.
~Dylan

~~~

Atbird
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Atbird » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:47 pm

My diamond rests on the floor, but also perches, usually in the food dishes. However, I started off with a pair and the male was exclusively sitting on the floor and didn't follow the female when she perched. I didn't realize until too late that he was ill and lost a lot of weight and he didn't survive. I had provided him with water and seed dishes on the bottom, so that wasn't the problem. I also left him alone because I didn't want to stress him, but I fell bad I didn't examine him earlier. Once he died, the female does spend more time on the floor than a finch, but frequently comes up for a visit.
Image Storm & Sky

Paddington
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Paddington » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:55 pm

wow really? How do you tell if he is ill, I have seen him eat, I don't have much experience with doves :/

Atbird
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Atbird » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:58 pm

He got very skinny, I could feel his keel and he got very easy to catch.
Image Storm & Sky

Paddington
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Paddington » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:09 pm

About how long did it take?

Atbird
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Atbird » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:20 am

about a month or two
Image Storm & Sky

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:59 am

As the others mentioned, it's common for doves to spend a lot of time on the floor. Like pigeons and quail, they're very comfortable on the ground because they're a ground dweller species.

I don't know if you give them free fly time, but if you do, please be SO CAREFUL walking around. I recommend getting in the habit of shuffling/dragging your feet when they're out (or you're in your bird room, if you have one.) This way, you don't risk stepping on anybody.

Puffy-ness is the easiest way to tell if a ground-dweller is sick. And they'll just seem vaguely "off". You'll know when they're unwell, especially once you get more familiar with these guys and get to know their little unique personalities and quirks.
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

Paddington
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Paddington » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:14 pm

Yeah I think he is fine, he was eating and running around cooing trying to get his mate to join him on the floor (she was hiding behind a seed cup)

I think part of it is that they are new and still a little scared of me, so when I enter the room and even if I watch them for a bit they freeze. I figure they will relax in a few weeks once they settle in.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:19 pm

Paddington I'm going to move this thread to the All Things Dove/Quail forum, where it might be noticed more by those members who also have Diamond doves.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Paddington
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Paddington » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:11 pm

Thanks! I saw this forum right after i posted :P

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:07 pm

Their behavior sounds perfectly normal and typical for a pair of Diamond Doves. They are rather easily startled especially if they were aviary bred. My original two pairs were. They've calmed down considerably, and their chicks are better but they still bang around the flights if I startled them enough.

I offer food and water in multiple places and levels throughout the cage. Doves can eat a gamebird crumble as well as finch mix. Usually a mix for pigeons and doves is too large for the Diamonds to handle. Mine enjoy my eggfood too.

If you want to breed them they will readily nest on top of a flat surface like a finch nest box, but I prefer to offer them the large/deep bamboo canary nests. You might have to reinforce the hanging clip a bit so it doesn't sag terribly, but I generally fill it with some pine shaving and offer them long coconut fiber which they line the nest with.

Normally a hen will lay two eggs. Even if the pair spooked easily before once they are incubating they become quite fearless. Or at least try to ignore you unless you literally have to get into the nest, And even then my hens usually just shuffle over a bit.

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:26 pm

I have to point out that my birds are extremely flighty in regards to the nest, if I touch it or come close enough to make one leave - within a few feet - they abandon and won't start even trying again for another week or two.
~Dylan

~~~

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:21 am

That's crazy Dylan. My white-rumped blue pair stick to theor nest like glue. I leterally had to push her aside to check on chicks one day. And the Blue pair sits about the same way. Hopefully yours calm down and do a better job parenting.

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove