Population EXPLOSION !!!!!!!!

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Population EXPLOSION !!!!!!!!

Post by Jen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:54 pm

Sally
I agree! They pop out of their eggshell all fluffy and cute and immediately start looking for mom and running behind her at her EVERY turn. These are the cutest little guys I've ever seen! I had a few offers to take them at an early age because some people incubate and hatch the eggs and wanted to add to some of their hatchlings. But I couldn't part with them yet. I'm not taking any chances and want them to be off to a good start before going to their new homes. I love these little cuties!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

Rox
Proven
Proven

Post by Rox » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:36 am

Oh man, they are just too cute!!!! =D>

I have had to restrain myself from getting some quails for the aviary. But man, they are just so adorable :D
Roxanne

Gouldian's, Blue Breasted Cordon Bleu's, Orange-cheeks, Violet-eared, Black-cheeked waxbill's and Peter's Twinspots

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:37 pm

Jen - that's so great that your boys get along! That's good because as you mentioned, the girls tend to have a shorter lifespan and there are few things more pathetic than a lonely button quail!

@Lucille - Yes! I've considered hatching my own button quail, but I've had to resist the urge as I only want a couple and would prefer hens. I know if I hatched them, I'd need to get a whole bunch of eggs and with my luck, all would hatch and I'd end up with a dozen button quail. LOL

And I doubt I'd be able to rehome them! Not sweet little tiny babies that I raised myself....and who could possibly end up as snake food. Yeah. I'd end up keeping the lot.

But hatching would be so fun! Flashbacks to 4H at a kid!
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:21 pm

Jen

The babies are very cute! Wish I could take some!
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:16 pm

Jenny, they are cuter than cute. It is nerve wrecking to try and catch birds when you have a lot of these little guys underfoot. This is the first time that I have heard that the hens have a shorter lifespan that the cocks. I have kept them for many years. What I have experienced was that about 2/3 of every clutch were male. Some people tend to keep 1 male with a whole host of females. The cock's call is also very pretty.
Marius

Lucille
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Lucille » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:33 pm

MiaCarter wrote: I'd need to get a whole bunch of eggs
I can almost guarantee that if you sent a message to one of the Ebay sellers asking to buy only 10 eggs, that they would put up an auction for 10 for you. And I understand that the hatch rate is not near 100%
(Not that I'm trying to enable you) :)

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:26 pm

MariusStegmann
You are so right about watching where to walk in my aviary. I do not go inside once it gets dark, even though I have a light out there. It is rather dim so I don't take any chances. I had one of the hens lay some eggs in the grassy area at the entry of the aviary....a very dangerous spot for a nest! But it all worked out and all the eggs hatched....of course! :roll:

As far as the male call....it is what helped me make the decision to get a female for him. His call was sooooo lonely...early in the morning I would hear him calling and my heart broke for him....fast forward....13 babies later....he isn't making that lonely call anymore! [-X Now he's looking for a babysitter... X_X or two or three... #-o

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!