talpacoti doves

adamharbeck
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

talpacoti doves

Post by adamharbeck » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:39 am

What can people tell me about talpacoti doves?
I have just successfully bred my first batch of zebra doves and thought I might give these a go too.
They are very pretty birds, would they mix with zebras and/or canaries in a small outdoor aviary?
Do they have a nice call?

Adam
Adam
10+ apricot canaries, 8 Bengalese Mannikins, 4 peaceful doves, 10 parrot cichlids, 3 clownfish, 2 damselfish, 1 Birman cat, 3 bantam chooks & more plants than is normal or healthy.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: talpacoti doves

Post by lovezebs » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:08 am

I have never heared if them before.
Now I'll have to google them, and see what they look like :-).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

adamharbeck
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by adamharbeck » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:51 pm

They're really nice looking birds actually. I like the the cinnamon/nankeen color.
Adam
10+ apricot canaries, 8 Bengalese Mannikins, 4 peaceful doves, 10 parrot cichlids, 3 clownfish, 2 damselfish, 1 Birman cat, 3 bantam chooks & more plants than is normal or healthy.

adamharbeck
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by adamharbeck » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:04 pm

So I got up early on Saturday and picked them up. The ad said 35, but the seller have them to me for 30.
They are much smaller than i expected, smaller than peaceful doves.
The hen is slightly pied which is interesting as i haven't seem anything about different colors .
They are very quiet, almost tame. Hopefully the flighty peacefuls follow thier example in time.
Thier top beaks were slightly overgrown, so i gently gave them a trim with nail clipers.
Attachments
The photo from  the  gumtree ad.
The photo from the gumtree ad.
Adam

adamharbeck
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by adamharbeck » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:08 pm

Another pic from the ad.
Attachments
ad_1446641577378.jpg
Adam

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:24 pm

Awww, they're cute. Congregations!
What size are they? Similar to a robin, or there abouts, or bigger?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

adamharbeck
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by adamharbeck » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:14 pm

How big is a robin? :D

They're about as big as a big canary.
Attachments
Photo from web.
Photo from web.
images-3.jpeg (23.93 KiB) Viewed 3508 times
Adam

MarlonLionheart
Pip
Pip

Post by MarlonLionheart » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:06 pm

adamharbeck wrote: What can people tell me about talpacoti doves?
I have just successfully bred my first batch of zebra doves and thought I might give these a go too.
They are very pretty birds, would they mix with zebras and/or canaries in a small outdoor aviary?
Do they have a nice call?

Adam
We've got a lot of these doves on our island, they can be found everywhere and I've got my regulars who come to clean up the seeds that get away from my finches/budgies. They nest anywhere that's quiet, dry and safe, only yesterday I saw a pair building a nest in a bunch of bananas that I have in my garden. I've only ever seen 2 eggs per clutch and the babies grow fast.

When I was growing up my dad had a medium sized flight cage with a couple of them housed with finches and parakeets and it didn't cause a problem, although it was not with Zebs, so not sure in that regards. That particular pair never nested but we did find eggs on the flight floor.

They are pretty quiet only making cooing noises.

If you can get your hands on a piece of 'Z Purlin' then you can use that as a nesting site (just attach a piece of roofing material to the top) They seem to favour that on our island and it's not uncommon to see multiple breeding pairs with nest in sheds made from this material.
Z-Purlin.jpg
Z-Purlin.jpg (5.77 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
Marlon...

Budgies- 15
Zebras- 4
Gouldians- 4
Societies- 3

WISH LIST:
Owls...Stars...Javas

adamharbeck
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by adamharbeck » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:09 am

Thanks for the info!
They are quite friendly with the peaceful doves.
I'll have to see if i can find something to rig up a nesting platform.
Adam

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:30 am

Hi Adam :-)

All I can say is OOPS! regarding the Robin question, lol.
For some reason, I didn't realize you were from the Land Down Under.
Here's a picture of the aforementioned "Robin", to give you an idea of what I was talking about.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http ... Jgod8TQI0A
~Elana~

adamharbeck
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by adamharbeck » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:55 am

The closest thing we have are these :)
http://birdlife.org.au/bird-profile/scarlet-robin
Adam

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:55 pm

Congrats on your new flock of doves.
:lol:
Well if they anything like my common ground doves. Breed like rabbits. I got my pair 2 months ago. They have had 4 clutches already. The 3Rd I removed and they went straight back and built another nest. No stopping them.

I assume yours are somewhat related being a type of pygmy dove.
I find mine peaceful. Only males fight a bit with each other, but never very aggressively. They don't worry any of my finches.

I liked the variety a dove brought to my aviary, they small enough not to disturb the finches when flying although they do sit on the floor more often than not as their name suggests.

Mine built their own nests on flat platforms or in dense brush.

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:08 pm

Oh and mine have a pleasant call. whoop whoop. That's what it sounds like. My birds are not exactly same species as yours though. Plain breasted ground dove.Columbina minuta.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:23 pm

adamharbeck

Hi Adam.

So you do have Robins (and different types too), we only have the one kind. They are gone now for the Winter, and we won't see them again until Spring :-(.
~Elana~