Look at this - my doves are "twerking" !!!

Nipper06
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Look at this - my doves are "twerking" !!!

Post by Nipper06 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:09 am

I have 3 Ringneck Doves that I let fly around my sunroom, most days. Recently, they discovered an empty plant stand, which I guess looks / feels like a nest. So all 3 of them (2 males and 1 female) have taken to sitting in it together, getting all cuddly... a little weird !!! My Java Sparrow, which follows them around, is interested too. So far, no nest-building or eggs in there (phew!).
Ron

My Pets: 2 Java Sparrows, 1 Canary, 4 Gouldian Finches, 1 Green Singer, 2 Ringneck Doves, 1 Budgie, 2 Rosy Bourke Parakeets, and 1 Mixed-breed Terrier

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Look at this - my doves are "twerking" !!!

Post by lovezebs » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:20 am

Hi Ron...

How cute is that :-).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sam007
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Sam007 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:41 pm

What a lovely little family! :D
I love Gouldian Finches.

Arama
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Arama » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:11 pm

That does look like a cozy place for a nest.
Trisha

Atbird
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Atbird » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:23 am

They're so cute.
Image Storm & Sky

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:48 am

Cute! I was never a fan of big doves, but these ringnecks are sweet. I got a lone male that "found" its way to me and he is such a character.

Enjoy your three - if they have their way they would be 5 and then 7 and then 9 by the looks of it! :lol:

erine
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by erine » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:42 pm

Nipper06 Do your Javas get along with your dove? Could a pair of Javas be housed with a ringneck dove? Thanks!
A pair of Gouldians, Red Cheeked CB's, Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Javas, and Cutthroats. And, two canaries. And, 3 kids, a dog and a patient, patient husband.

Nipper06
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Nipper06 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:07 pm

Java Sparrows seem to have a strange "fascination" with Ringneck Doves. I've read about it, heard about it from others, and witnessed it myself. I have one Java Sparrow now, who has a Spice Finch for a cage mate but my Java flies over and visits with my 3 Ringneck Doves all the time. In fact, for some reason, he even choses to sleep in the cage with the doves most nights (right next to them usually), rather than with the Spice Finch (who he otherwise gets along fine well with).

My situation is that I have my Doves and Finches in a large sunroom. The 3 doves and Java and Spice Finches get to fly around free in there, most of the time. So the advantage is they got to know each other gradually and are not "stuck" in the same cage all the time. They can come and go and interact freely outside the cages. So this works in my situation. Now if you are talking about putting a Ringneck Dove into a cage with Java Sparrows, and they are not allowed to fly freely outside the cage, it might or might not work. I would start by putting their cages side-by-side and seeing if they interact at all. Also, putting the Ringneck Dove and Java Sparrows in a new cage at the same time, that neither side is used to (or feels that it is their territory), might work well too.

But if you are talking about putting the Ringneck Dove and Java Sparrows together in a aviary, I'd say there is probably no problem.

Ron

My Pets: 2 Java Sparrows, 1 Canary, 4 Gouldian Finches, 1 Green Singer, 2 Ringneck Doves, 1 Budgie, 2 Rosy Bourke Parakeets, and 1 Mixed-breed Terrier

erine
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by erine » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:10 pm

Thanks, Nipper06, that bears thinking about.
Erin
A pair of Gouldians, Red Cheeked CB's, Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Javas, and Cutthroats. And, two canaries. And, 3 kids, a dog and a patient, patient husband.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:21 pm

erine I wouldn't necessarily suggest caging a ringneck dove with finches, they're so much smaller that even though the dove probably won't harm them, its flight and hopping across the cage will scare the smaller birds; although, my dove has bunked with two budgies for a while now and it's worked out OK. The two are older, gentle males and mostly focus on each other. The dove seems to enjoy the company and hangs out with the budgies and our cockatiels, too, when I let the birds all out to fly, but there's no real affection or anything between the species - just ambient company. We have a third younger budgie who cages apart with the two teils though, and he does like to try to preen the dove when they're out together, and sometimes even to hop onto his back to do so, which the dove tolerates for a while before giving a quick jab at him to say he's had enough horseplay.

For the longest time our dove had a crush on our white crested society finch, but he seems to have gotten over her, since she didn't reciprocate the gesture.
~Dylan

~~~

erine
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by erine » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:11 am

Sheather You know, I think your right. I was feeling sorry for my Dovey because she has no companions in her cage. But I think the stress caused by putting them together would be too much.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:23 am

erine If you are really concerned, another female dove would be your best bet.
~Dylan

~~~